Liquid Covers

Jan 5, 2014
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
So I am very happy with the Cover Free Liquid pool cover but not happy with the price and lack of alternatives. I don't like the fact that I am usually having to buy this stuff at the pool store with no alternatives. I actually looked up the patent to learn about what makes this stuff tick.
Now I am no expert here, so please correct me if I am wrong. The main ingredient is a chemical compound called Polyoxyethelene. Apparently this creates a thin layer of a clear "oil" that sits on the water's surface and keeps in heat and dramatically reduces evaporation. So I was hoping I would be able to go online and purchase a much cheaper substitute for the liquid cover. After much searching, I have not been able to find anything that would be a good substitute, but I am convinced that someone with a much better grasp of Chemistry could figure out some cheaper alternatives.
I was just curious if anyone has figured out any cheap liquid cover ideas. Please post them here!

There are different molecules used in different products where some use stearyl alcohol or cetyl alcohol. An isopropyl alcohol carrier is used and some calcium hydroxide may be used as a dispersant. See this post that refers to a patent from HeatSavr.

If you have a patent number (or patent application number) or link to it then I can take a look. I didn't see anything from Natural Chemistry at the USPTO for this kind of product.

Well that patent covers a long history of other patents with other compositions including what I described.

The patent you found discloses that the preferred embodiment uses a chemical that goes under the trade name Hetoxol L-2 and is also known as Laureth-2 and is used in cosmetics. You can certainly see if you can get this from some chemical supplier, but would need to disperse it directly because it is not soluble in water unless you add a thickening agent (they don't specify the specific one they use).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.