Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 5 year old hayward heater

1. Back To Top    #1

5 year old hayward heater

Swim Pro by Hayward Heater ABG1001 after 5 years of great performance has started repeatedly firing up then flame goes off and cold air blows. noticed repeated pop of flame coming on over and over. Similar replacement is $677 on Amazon. Should I just be glad I got 5 good years and drop the $677 for a replacement? Or does repair make any sense for a 5 year old unit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 5 year old hayward heater

I would check the gas jet nozzles and make sure they are clean. Spiders like to make webs in them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes give the burners and the orifices a good cleaning and see what happens. Use something soft like a pipe cleaner on the orifices.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

mas985 and ps0303.....thanks for the suggestion. sounds like a great idea. once i open it up is it pretty self explanatory? do i need to do and dis-assembly inside to get to the spots to clean??

5. Back To Top    #5

update......i took it apart which was fun and educational. but i find that water is dripping down onto the burners. which i assume means the heat ex-changer is damaged? so do i stop now and order a new heater? or is it possible to repair the leak?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea, it looks like you need a new ex-changer. I don't think they are repairable.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

new exchanger $380.......whole new heater $677.......heater is 5 years old so i am going with the new heater. thanks all for the education! i now understand how a pool heater works and what the insides look like and how to clean the burners on my new heater