Hypothetical- Whats the oldest sand filter youve seen that was still functional?

Oct 7, 2010
People,

Well, that it- title is my question. My pool's filter is from 1981. Ive been thinking of changing it, but need advice as to if I REALLY need it. (water does take days and days to finally clear up).

Thanks, people.

People,

Well, that it- title is my question. My pool's filter is from 1981. Ive been thinking of changing it, but need advice as to if I REALLY need it. (water does take days and days to finally clear up).

Thanks, people.

I replaced our second steel filter on my old 1946 pool with a Lomart Stainless steel sand filter the year after I got my driver's licence (1972). I never changed the sand and it remained in continuous service until 2002 when the pool itself was decommissioned because I sold the land it was on. It was still keeping things perfectly clear. If I still had that pool, I believe it would be working today. The cast iron and sheet steel filters used through the 1960's were good for only about 15 years, so I doubt you will find anything older than about 1970 when I believe the stainless steel filters started.

A few years ago we replaced an old steel tank sand filter from the late 60s. The filter was still worked just fine, but the main valve was completely shot and the tank was heavily rusted. From what I could find out they stopped selling the repair parts around 2003, so replacement was the only option.

Sand filters take a while to clear up the water, that is just the way they are, nothing to do with being old.

So what exactly are you trying to clear up? Sand filters are slower, but there are ways to speed up the process by using DE. But, if your issue is chemistry related, then the type and age of filter does not matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.