Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hypothetical- Whats the oldest sand filter youve seen that was still functional?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hypothetical- Whats the oldest sand filter youve seen that was still functional?

People,

Well, that it- title is my question. My pool's filter is from 1981. Ive been thinking of changing it, but need advice as to if I REALLY need it. (water does take days and days to finally clear up).

Thanks, people.
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hypothetical- Whats the oldest sand filter youve seen that was still functional?

Quote Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
    People,

Well, that it- title is my question. My pool's filter is from 1981. Ive been thinking of changing it, but need advice as to if I REALLY need it. (water does take days and days to finally clear up).

Thanks, people.
    I replaced our second steel filter on my old 1946 pool with a Lomart Stainless steel sand filter the year after I got my driver's licence (1972). I never changed the sand and it remained in continuous service until 2002 when the pool itself was decommissioned because I sold the land it was on. It was still keeping things perfectly clear. If I still had that pool, I believe it would be working today. The cast iron and sheet steel filters used through the 1960's were good for only about 15 years, so I doubt you will find anything older than about 1970 when I believe the stainless steel filters started.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hypothetical- Whats the oldest sand filter youve seen that was still functional?

Its a Tagelus, TA60. If that helps determine what I got......thanks
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

4. Back To Top    #4

A few years ago we replaced an old steel tank sand filter from the late 60s. The filter was still worked just fine, but the main valve was completely shot and the tank was heavily rusted. From what I could find out they stopped selling the repair parts around 2003, so replacement was the only option.

Sand filters take a while to clear up the water, that is just the way they are, nothing to do with being old.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, and I thought my 1980s stainless steel PacFab 50 that I just replaced was old...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

So what exactly are you trying to clear up? Sand filters are slower, but there are ways to speed up the process by using DE. But, if your issue is chemistry related, then the type and age of filter does not matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!