Leak where pump connects to leaf basket

Aug 2, 2014
Simi Valley, CA
Hi,
I've been trying to fix a leak where the pump connects to the leaf basket for over a week and I'm at a loss. We've replaced the o-ring, lubed it up, taken it apart and put it back together at least 8 times-tried having 2 people hold it together while a 3rd tightens it-and still a leak! I feel like we must be missing something, but I have no idea what. Any ideas appreciated. Here's a pic of the connection I'm talking about-the metal ring top right:

image.jpg

Here's a YouTube video about replacing a shaft seal. But your pump might be different that the one in the video, so I recommend looking at the video, then google for your pump model and see if you can find something similar related to your pump model.

Look for a crack. Isolate the area by shutting off the valves. Try using a colored dye and see where it seaps out. Basically a home brew version of non destructive testing.
I don't have a lot of pool experience but I have dealt with several cracks in my job. They're usually in a seam area or someplace that gets bound or stressed.

Ask yourself "how much seepage is acceptable?" I replaced my seal, because it leaked. Now it seeps. I accept that because all it does, is water a part of my lawn. If it floods your basement, that's a different story.
Similar to what I may have dealt with a month ago. I replaced the seal as previously described. I would describe it as "easy" to replace. Pop the cap off the back of the pump motor, reverse thread the nut, don't touch the seal with bare fingers. Basic mechanics and plumbing. Probably more details in video, I haven't watched it yet.
If you live close, bring it by.

One other suggestion. Use a rubber mallet, and lightly tap the band in various locations as you tighten. There is probably a torque specification, but I doubt you have a torque wrench and I didn't use one. I just tapped until it felt right, based upon my superb mechanical skills and judgement and until the leak stopped.
We use torque specs on turbine engines, but we still tap the v-bands with a mallet when tightening.
My motto,
This ain't rocket surgery

Thanks so much for the ideas! I think that shaft seal does sound like the problem; visual inspection and lots of testing doesn't show any other issues. The leak is just enough to be too much for me to just live with, especially with the drought out here and the price of water =\
Going to try that and see how it goes! But first will try the rubber mallet trick, at least to maybe help lessen the leak until we can get the replacement valve.
Thanks again! I never would've known about the seal without this forum!

Hopefully there is a label on your pump that tells the make and model number. If so, you should try to google the pump model and get the PN of the shaft seal. Then you can try Leslies, or try to find it online.

How important is $$$ vs time? I'll take time over dollars most of the time. In my line of work, time can equal lives or mission success. But in private life, it gets difficult to decide. What is this project worth to you? That seams to be the one variable not addressed on TFP (not being critical).
I'm not Dave Ramsey, but what is your goal?
Once again, mod squad, smack me back if I get out of line.
There really should be a page entitled, "everybody just do this!!!"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.