Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: safe to swim in the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

safe to swim in the pool?

I have been struggling with cloudy greenish water for at least 3 weeks now. I think it started because of the weather we were not in the pool as much as we would have liked to. I have been keeping the chlorine up high especially the past week and brushing and vacuuming daily. It just doesn't seem to be helping. I have a 18x48 ultra frame intex pool.

Is it safe to swim in with a FC of 12? My levels are:

CYA 40
    FC 12
    CC .5
    PH 7.8
    TA 100
    CH 50
    18x48 ultra frame AG Intex pool 6423 gallons
    Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Model SF70110
    Test kit - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: safe to swim in the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by brickladyt View Post
    I have been struggling with cloudy greenish water for at least 3 weeks now. I think it started because of the weather we were not in the pool as much as we would have liked to. I have been keeping the chlorine up high especially the past week and brushing and vacuuming daily. It just doesn't seem to be helping. I have a 18x48 ultra frame intex pool.

Is it safe to swim in with a FC of 12? My levels are:

CYA 40
    FC 12
    CC .5
    PH 7.8
    TA 100
    CH 50
    It is safe to swim upi to shock level, which for you is 16 as long as it is clear enough to see the bottom. Never allow anyone in the pool if you can't see the bottom as you may miss someone having a problem.

Have you conducted a SLAM to kill the algae?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes you can clearly see the bottom. I am currently starting the SLAM now.
    Test kit - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Do I have to run my filter 24/7? It's been running for 3 days straight now (holy electric bill). I'm really not seeing a difference in the cloudiness either.
    Test kit - TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by brickladyt
    Do I have to run my filter 24/7? It's been running for 3 days straight now (holy electric bill). I'm really not seeing a difference in the cloudiness either.
    Yes, you want to run the pump 24/7 until you are done with the SLAM. The only time-out allowed is if you need to clean your filter. The cloudiness you are seeing is very likely dead algae. It will gradually clear as any remaining algae is killed off and the filter captures it. Keep an eye on your filter pressure and clean as necessary.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have been taking the cartridge out daily and cleaning it. It really doesn't seem to be that dirty but I do a quick rinse anyway.
    Test kit - TF-100