Help, Brand new (to me) pool and I want to use TFP from the get go

Aug 10, 2014
Tullahoma, TN
Please help. I've printed the entire pool school and read it. I've ordered and got in my hand the TF-100 test kit. But I'm still lost. The pool is almost full so I know I need to figure this out quick.

Someone gave us a 15x30 oval 52 inch deep pool. We had it professionally installed with a new liner and new sand, so I guess it's just like a new pool to start? We have city water. I just don't know where to go from here. The pool store wanted us to spend $200+ on chemicals to get us thru THIS season that's almost over! NOPE!

Any advise is appreciated. Like best place to get the bleach? I've read that Lowes liquid chlorine is often too old to work. So how do I know what to use?

Twana

Ypu need to put cya in. Fill out pool math to figure it put. Put it in a sock in front of the return. Then put in the bleach according to pool math and cya. I have a slightly bigger pool and only have to put in about 2-3 cups a day depending on weather and batherload. So you will prob need to put at least 2 cups a day until you get your testing kit. I like the great value bleach at walmart.

edgeuk8tr (awesome!),

The first step is :calm: You have already done the difficult part...you've educated yourself and bought the most appropriate test kit. :goodjob:

Since you already have your kit, why don't you run some tests and post the results? Just follow the instructions that came inside to a T and before long, it will be second nature to you.

The next steps will likely be adding some CYA, adding some chlorine, and maybe pH adjustment depending on your results.

CYA is sold as stabilizer/conditioner...and you can get that from most big box stores. While you're there, grab some unscented bleach. Just good store brand bleach...no scents or thickeners added.

Once you get your test results, plug everything into Pool Math and it will tell you what and how much you need to add. If you aren't comfortable with your first additions, post back here and I'm sure someone will be more than willing to offer advice!

:flower: Welcome!

It is that easy.
So many people think its difficult and over-think it, and end up in a state of self induced confusion.
Really does baffle me that this happens to some folks.

Thank ya'll so much! It really sounds so easy! Almost too easy lol. Will test as soon as I get home this afternoon and post here :) I'll grab my bleach and stuff while I'm out.

Do I just add everything at once? And where do I get calcium chloride and stabilizer? pool store?
Nope, don't add everything at once. Pick up a few bottle of Great Value bleach from WalMart. It will be 8.25%. While you are there pick up some CYA/Stabilizer from the seasonal pool section. They were starting to discount pool supplies at my WalMart this week. Look around the laundry section for 20 Mule Team Borax. Grab a box of that also. If your WalMart doesn't have it stop at the grocery store on the way home.

Take care of the chlorine first. 100 oz is just shy of a bottle. Pour it in with the filter running. I usually pour slowly in front of returns so it mixes up well.

Now, while that is mixing in lets get some stabilizer in the pool. 30 or so ounces in a clean white sock. Tie it closed and either put it in a skimmer (as long as it doesn't block all water flow or hang it in front of a return.

Now, grab a coke, or even better is an adult beverage. No rush in what we are doing. Relax, watch the water.

Now, if at least an hour has passed grab a bucket and dip out some pool water. Pour in 50 or so ounces of the borax you bought. Mix it up and let it dissolve in the bucket. Once dissolved pour it into the pool, again in front of the return(s) to mix well.

Now, grab a another coke, or even better is another adult beverage. Still no rush in what we are doing. Relax, watch the water.

Wait an hour or even a couple may be better and retest the water for FC and pH. Cya won't show up on the test for days, so don't bother now, you will just waste the testing reagents.

Notice that other than the bleach, I've cut everything suggested in about half. You don't want to over shoot your goal. -Add some, then retest. Bring levels up slowly.

Also, ignore the calcium chloride. You have a vinyl pool, so other than the level getting too high CH is not something to worry about.

After waiting for a week to get a new multi port valve for the filter, I was finally able to add the stabilizer, bleach, and borax like you suggested. My new numbers taken about 2 hours after adding the borax are
FC 4
pH 70
So where do I go from here? The water looks amazingly clear after a week with no circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After waiting for a week to get a new multi port valve for the filter, I was finally able to add the stabilizer, bleach, and borax like you suggested. My new numbers taken about 2 hours after adding the borax are
FC 4
pH 70
So where do I go from here? The water looks amazingly clear after a week with no circulation.
you need to bring that pH up a little. Use pool math to figure that one out.

What CYA level did you target? The CYA level will determine what FC level you need to target.

Test and adjust daily. Oh, don't forget to swim....

If you would please add your pool info into your signature. It helps everyone at a glance to know what kind of equipment you have in case you need help in the future.

Just as Tim 5055 said....
Test and adjust daily. Oh, don't forget to swim....

and

Now, grab a coke, or even better is an adult beverage. No rush in what we are doing. Relax, watch the water.

He makes it sound so difficult dosent he..... Lol. Enjoy....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.