Generic Kreepy Krauly...

I'm exactly in your boat and am very interested in this exact model you're looking at. I haven't bought one though. One thing I worry is if it winds up getting stuck on the steps in my pool.

Also, the generic ad doesn't seem to mention anything about the ability to regulate the amount of suction from the skimmer that gets delivered to the unit, but the brand name one does mention that it comes with a way to regulate that.

Well... FedEx delivered it today, ordered on Sat. so pretty fast from Commerce California. 2 parts to snap on, add weights to hose put hose together and drop in pool. So far it's doing better than expected but I need 3 more hose sections to get full coverage. As for the steps I've watched it for 2 hours and it won't even try to climb on the steps on its on, just turns and moves on. I was worried about it hanging up on steps and ladder on deep end but it just bumps and goes. Looks like a brush on the steps and the "Generic Kreepy" will do the rest. 80 bucks to my door and I like it. WIN WIN!!!

Just saw this. I had a Barracuda Alpha (same basic concept as the Kreepy Krauly) that worked for years in my 16 x 32 inground pool. I kept buying replacement hoses as they developed leaks and had to zip tie a piece of styrofoam to the top when the float allowed water in and stopped floating. When Costco had a deal on a Kleen Machine robotic cleaner for $300 I bought it and it is a big improvement. The robotic cleaner is so much easier to put in and take out of the pool compared to all the hose sections. It also does a better job and keeps the debris out of the filter.

I think I've had it for 3-4 years and it just today stopped working so I am possibly looking to buy a replacement robotic cleaner. At $80, the generic Kreepy Krauly is a great deal. If you get tired of it, get a robotic cleaner. You will not be sorry.

Just received my Generic Kreepy as well. My Jacuzzi Tracker (thePoolCleaner) finally bit the bullet and I needed something fast and cheap. So far this thing works pretty good. It tends to not want to visit the shallow end as much I would like, but some adjustment may be needed. It cleans good, scoots up the slopes on my deep end well and has been keeping the pool looking good. I am pleased so far.

Riles

I have this same Cleaner, it does get hung up on my pool steps now and then. No on the step itself but infront as the hose gets in the opening to the steps and doesnt allow it to turn. Otherwise it doesnt ok, and I have had to adjust returns and weights to get it to cover different areas. Still have not gotten the perfect adjustments. But for the money it does pretty good.

Leonard

I have the original Kreepy. It does ok, I guess. It hangs up on my deep end steps every now and then so I can't just leave it running and forget it. I noticed it mainly travels in a figure 8 pattern only so I have to move it around manually with my leaf net pole which is a pain. It doesn't pick up many leaves or giant caterpillars either. Begging for a robotic but also need a good pool cover for the fall due to a gazillion trees. So, having to pick my battle on this one and just stick w the kreepy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a follow up to this post after using this cleaner through the winter. While this cleaner does well with dirt and fines on the bottom once I got to fall/winter this cleaner did not meet my expectations. As the poster above said, this cleaner does not pick up leaves, at least not very well. As such, I will likely return to my pool tracker (aka the pool cleaner) this year. I do not close my pool over the fall/winter and I get tons of leaves so if you have a similar issue this may not be the cleaner for you.

Riles

I just got the generic one from Amazon.. I actually got the one that says "inground" even though I have an AGP.. They are the same exact ones (someone linked one that said for AGP)..

Anywho.. I got it today and let it run for about an hour.. It seemed to do good, however, I had a good amount of debris in the center of the pool and it never went in the middle.. It seemed to just keep making laps around the outside.. They say to try numerous things (adjust the return jet, hose, weights, etc).. I didn't try any of that yet..

If it doesn't eventually do the center of the pool I'll return it..

How long do you guys let these run for?

Thanks

I love mine! It does get stuck on the main drains every now and then but otherwise no issues.

Works like a champ and I paid around $50.00 on Amazon back in October. Now they are $66
Best Choice Products® Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum Auto Inground Hover Climb Wall 33ft Hose

DaneCE wrote "... if you have a strong circulating current that this will effect the random pattern. It might be following the current too much."

I found this and other (what a robotic cleaner might consider) nuisance variables have a great effect on my KK. With only one moving part- the piston or "Flapper", the KK is susceptible to hose length, return jet currents, flow and balance. Where a robotic (geared) cleaner may be able to power through these inputs, the KK is controlled by them: It can be turned away from the hose if it binds against itself or the wall, weight placement has a profound effect on the vacuum seal- and therefore movement, jet currents may push the hose (or worse, the leaf canister) with enough force to keep the KK turning in the same direction. I also found that the leaf canister must be at least TWO hose sections away from the wall in order for the KK to bend the hose past my dedicated suction port.

It has taken hours of trial and error to find the right combination.

I think i'm there. So far it is better about the areas where my Polaris F7 would get hung up.

I bought one of them in 2013. The cleaner is fine, the hoses started leaking right away. They split at the seams and were super brittle. I kept them going with glue and gorilla tape for that season, but had to get something new for the next year.
It was cheaper to get another cleaner with the hoses, than just the hoses by itselfe.

I just bought this to replace my Barracuda that came with the pool, apparently it was missing parts I did not know about and said parts cost almost as much as getting a new unit. So this "generic" guy caught my eye, hopefully it will work just as well as the old one, or at the very least the parts can be interchangeable and make my barracuda usable (it lately would just like to sit there and not move no matter what I would do, clean the filter, etc)

It should arrive tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.