Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae that won't go away

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Exclamation Algae that won't go away

I have yellow mustard algae and potentially some of the dreaded black algae. The lining of the pool is plaster I think. When I brush it with a softer bristle brush white powder comes off the walls. When I hit the mustard algae spots, greenish yellowish comes off the wall. When I brush the bottom of the pool, where there is no apparent mustard algae at all, but potentially black algae, I get random greenish clouds, followed by the standard whitish/grey "chalk" that I get everytime I brush or clean. I have been brushing the walls daily, and vacuuming 2 times a week. The water is not murky. It is pristinely clear. The filter pump has been running 24/7 for the last 7-10 days. I have listed my water readings below.

Note: I just realized how high the CA level was just a couple of days ago. I have just done a 25% water change to drop the level down to a more tolerable level. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, for 2 days I have been SLAMing the pool. Here were my readings before the SLAM
    TC: 0
    FC: 0.5
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 100
    CA: 100

I then added 6 containers of 121oz Clorox, 8.25%, to reach the SLAM level.
    Readings after SLAM
    TC: 10+
    FC: 20+
    pH: 8.2

Here are my readings today:
    TC: 5
    FC: 5
    pH: 7.2

2. Back To Top    #2

Bastrop, Louisiana

Re: Algae that won't go away

Greetings Swtnate, Welcome to Trouble Free Pools.
    Some additional info is needed.
    What kind of test kit are you using to test with?
    What is your CYA level?
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)