Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Styrofoam inside my new Dolphin Nautilus

1. Back To Top    #1

Styrofoam inside my new Dolphin Nautilus

Just received and unpackaged my new Dolphin Nautilus robotic pool cleaner. My question to other owners of this model (or similar Dolphins) is regarding two decent-sized block pieces of styrofoam inside the unit where the filter screens and drive motor are. Should these things be removed? Are they there for shipping purposes and protection only.....or part of the machine's workings? That whole area would be submerged in water when the machine is in the water and I can't imagine that styrofoam would last in the pools chemical water environment. Anyone else seen or dealt with this "issue"? I'd call the company and ask, but of course they are closed and I really want to start using the cleaner today.
    First time pool owner. IG pool & spa combo. Approx. 18,000 gal. White plaster.
    Free-form(ish), roughly 30' x 15'. Titan RPM D.E. Filter (48 sq. ft. filter area).
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 pump (1.5 HP, 1 speed). Pentair 300K BTU/hr NG heater.
    Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner. Plaster & all equipment age: 5+ years.
    TF100 test kit and AquaChek strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Styrofoam inside my new Dolphin Nautilus

Are they attached to the unit? If so they are likely to help it turn.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

They are "wedged" inside of the unit and appear to be there to support the drive motor. Not sure if they are there for shipping purposes and can be removed or if they are to be left. I would be surprised if Dolphin (Maytronics) would used plain old styrofoam in constructing the product, especially a product (pool cleaner) that is often left immersed in water and subject for pool chemicals (acid, chlorine, etc.) for days at a time. Seems like the styrofoam would break down and make a mess of things. I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
    Free-form(ish), roughly 30' x 15'. Titan RPM D.E. Filter (48 sq. ft. filter area).

4. Back To Top    #4

If its plain Styrofoam, then most likely it was there for shipping, if its regular foam like sponge foam, those have been used in robots to control turning and buoyancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in SoCal View Post
    They are "wedged" inside of the unit and appear to be there to support the drive motor. Not sure if they are there for shipping purposes and can be removed or if they are to be left. I would be surprised if Dolphin (Maytronics) would used plain old styrofoam in constructing the product, especially a product (pool cleaner) that is often left immersed in water and subject for pool chemicals (acid, chlorine, etc.) for days at a time. Seems like the styrofoam would break down and make a mess of things. I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Called Maytronics (manufacturer of the Dolphin pool cleaner line). Their representative said the two blocks of styro-foam on the inside are supposed to remain and should NOT be removed. I didn't inquire as to why. As robl45 stated, they are probably for buoyancy.