Newbie-High CYA

Texgal

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2012
Boerne, Texas
Hello,

We had some work done on our pool and had a major algae bloom. The algae appears to be gone now but we can't keep the chlorine in the pool. Our CYA level is between 150-180. Since we are in a drought we are not allowed to drain our pool. Is there another way to lower CYA? I'm assuming since the CYA level is high that might be the reason we can't keep the chlorine in the pool?? We have added up to six gallons of liquid shock at a time (per pool company suggestion) but then it drops back to zero the next day.

We have a Tri-color dispenser and since it appears to raise CYA levels, we have shut it off. Was that the right thing to do?

Our pool is a 16,000 gallons fiberglass.

I really would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thank you,

Texgal

Unfortunately, no other way to get rid of the excess CYA you have than to drain and replace. Using Trichlor and/or dichlor will only add to your problem, so yes you did the right thing by shutting it off. According to Pool math, you will have to replace as much as 72% of your water if it is 180. 62% it's 150. if you don't you will need to keep your FC at 18 - 21 depending on your actual cya level compared to 8 if you get your cya to the recommended 50. If you don't have a good testkit, you will have difficulty keeping up with your pools chemistry pool store tests are worth what you pay for them. The recommended test kits are the TF-100 or Taylor k-2006--either of which can be ordered at tftestkits.net.

Honestly, if those cya numbers are a result of pool store tests, I doubt they are close to what it actually actually is.

timerguy,

Thank you so much for the quick reply! That was the answer I was afraid I would receive. The TF-100 has been ordered! A part of me fears what the results of that will be but I'm going to give TFP a try. Everyone seems very helpful:p

Again, thank you.

Welcome to TFP !
Congrats on ordering the kit. Best investment you can make for your pool. When it comes post up a full set of results and we'll get you started on getting things fixed up.
When you get your CYA level back in range your going to see how easy our methods are going to be. You'll have the right tool to maintain your water chemistry without relying on the pool store. They are not on your side. We are ! ?

Just a heads up, 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level. But, the higher the dilution the it drifts off a true number.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

It would help us if you would add your location to your profile and the following information to your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.