Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have you seen this type of construction?

1. Back To Top    #1

Have you seen this type of construction?

When I was living in Singapore a while back I took this picture of the pool at my apartment. Notice how it is designed so that the water level is at the surrounding deck level. The water drains to grates (red arrow) which surround the pool. You can see that the reflections at the waterline come up to that grate. It was a really cool effect. I haven't seen a pool designed like this here.

Just wondering if you've seen this and have considered this type of construction.

27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have you seen this type of construction?

The lap pool at my university's gym has that. I guess so they don't lose all their water from activity?

I guess I should have said my university in Ireland's gym.

3. Back To Top    #3

It is called a overflowpool or floodpool (at least that is what we call it here). It is a nice effect but you have to use more equipment en would loose more water during the day.

4. Back To Top    #4

Funny. My parents lived in that complex for a while before moving back to Norway. Loved the huge balconies!
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The pool on the roof of the Market Pavilion in Charleston has that kind of edge. It's lovely.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

holmern, you've got to be kidding me. I would not have expected anyone on this forum to recognize the place. That complex was the Parisian, on Orchard Blvd. I lived there 3 years in the late 80's. It was a gorgeous place and loved swimming in the pool, which I did often, and as you mentioned the balconies were awesome, as well as the apartments. Since then, they've torn down the Parisian and are building a much taller building. I saw that on Google Earth and Street View. Kind of made me sad, since I have such fond memories of Singapore and the Parisian.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Those balconies combined with the pool made it easy to recognize We loved visiting there. Very different country and it was a little surreal to have a live in maid/cook. Hope I can go back to Singapore and Indonesia one day. For now I'm saving all the money to try and get a pool built instead
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

On the other side of it, is there a wall? There's gotta be a skimmer somewhere...
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

9. Back To Top    #9

The Conrad hotel in Indianapolis has that type of setup. My kids are always fascinated.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Just wondering if you've seen this and have considered this type of construction.
    Im currently building something similar in my new house, but more complicated in that I didnt want to see even the grates (yes Im both fussy and crazy!)
    Ive got a build thread if anyone is interested
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Pool-Australia

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    On the other side of it, is there a wall? There's gotta be a skimmer somewhere...
    There is continuous movement of water, so the pool will allways be flooded. Water will drain in the ground returning to the pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh, good point, I didn't think about that.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
    Im currently building something similar in my new house, but more complicated in that I didnt want to see even the grates (yes Im both fussy and crazy!)
    Ive got a build thread if anyone is interested
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Pool-Australia
    Awesome Thread. I've subscribed. Having the waterline level with the deck is such an amazing sight.