Difficult question about spill over spa

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hi guys,

I have (what I think is a tough question) about a spill over spa.
I just had one put in, and the paving guy is finished, and it looks nice. Its similiar but not exactly to the pic below.

The problem is that they put bullnose pavers directly under lip, and the water coming back into the pool, falls down, hits the pavers, and goes all over the place. Basically, it breaks the stream... That isnt really a big deal. But Im worried that since so much water is hitting the bullnose pavers, a ton of it is getting underneath, and water is almost definitely getting behind the liner...
Is this dangerous to the structure or wall of the pool?
Is there anything I can do about this? Do they make anything to extend the fiber glass like plastic another inch or so into the pool, so it gets around the pavers?

Thanks a million in advance. I guess Im hoping a few others here have a spill over and ran into something similiar to this :)

Note: Mine does not have so much stone around it. It is a more typical fiber glass lip that is almost exactly level with the edge of the pool. The water falls straight down and its the pavers underneath going all over the place.

spill%20over%20spa%20on%20oasis.JPG

Did the stone mason cut a drip edge under the spill edge stone? It helps with capillary action when water rolls under the stone. Ask the stone mason if the spillover stone can be removed and have a 1/8" slot cut into the stone.

Thanks. The stone guy didnt cut a drip edge in.

The thing is, when the water flows down, it hits the bullnose head on. I want to avoid this altogether to keep the flow :)

Is there a way to build out fiberglass or do they make some kind of plastic insert to extend the mouth of a spill over spa? Or maybe I can just have the stone guy extend it out with bluestone or some other stone... That might look decent.

Thanks for your help.

Jason, the poster notes: "Its similiar but not exactly to the pic below. "

mitch08, when you contracted to have this done, did you specify exactly what you are now trying to accomplish? If you did, then you need to tell the contractor that you're not satisfied and that you want them to fix it.

It is important that the spillover spill directly into the pool, or into a waterproof channel that channels the water into the pool (for example into a stepped waterfall). The pool in the picture is correct. Some water may splash out on the the rock, but the great majority goes directly into the pool. Anything else is a very bad idea and a clear mistake on the part of the builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.