Modify the OTO chlorine test -- will this work?

May 18, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I know I should have a better test kit, but I don't right now. I am trying to SLAM my pool, and using the chlorine test that uses 5 drops of the yellow reagent. I thought that I read that you could dilute your pool water with distilled water, 50/50, and then double the result. This makes sense to me. My question is, can I add 1 drop of reagent, and then multiply my result by 5? I get a 100% pool water sample, and add 1 drop of the yellow reagent. The result reads about 5 ppm. Can I safely conclude from this that my actual chlorine level is 25?

You can get a good idea of your chlorine level by diluting the OTO as you have done or by mixing distilled water in the sample. Down side is all your errors are multiplied by 5 too.

Can I safely conclude from this that my actual chlorine level is 25?
No. The yellow color is an indicator, the same as pH. The color doesn't really change much if the exact ratio of water and drops isn't adhered to, as long as the ratio of chlorine to water is the same. Try it and see. Check the chlorine level using two drops. Then add a third, and a fourth, and a fifth, and even a sixth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.