Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Modify the OTO chlorine test -- will this work?

1. Back To Top    #1

Modify the OTO chlorine test -- will this work?

I know I should have a better test kit, but I don't right now. I am trying to SLAM my pool, and using the chlorine test that uses 5 drops of the yellow reagent. I thought that I read that you could dilute your pool water with distilled water, 50/50, and then double the result. This makes sense to me. My question is, can I add 1 drop of reagent, and then multiply my result by 5? I get a 100% pool water sample, and add 1 drop of the yellow reagent. The result reads about 5 ppm. Can I safely conclude from this that my actual chlorine level is 25?
    30,000 galllon, inground, vinyl liner, L-shaped pool
    1.5 hp pump, sand filter, heater, run pump 24/7
    Aquarite salt system
    St. Louis, MO, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Modify the OTO chlorine test -- will this work?

That diluted test is for CYA and isn't recommended for FC
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Modify the OTO chlorine test -- will this work?

^^^^ That's why you need the FAS/DPD test kit for SLAMing. You can read accurately high FC levels. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can get a good idea of your chlorine level by diluting the OTO as you have done or by mixing distilled water in the sample. Down side is all your errors are multiplied by 5 too.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTCAP View Post
    Can I safely conclude from this that my actual chlorine level is 25?
    No. The yellow color is an indicator, the same as pH. The color doesn't really change much if the exact ratio of water and drops isn't adhered to, as long as the ratio of chlorine to water is the same. Try it and see. Check the chlorine level using two drops. Then add a third, and a fourth, and a fifth, and even a sixth.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!