Winter cover drain - anyone use one?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
I have saw these drains that install in the center of the winter cover and have a line that runs through the return opening to drain water outside the pool, and am curious if anyone uses / has used them and how well the work. Also, for an oval pool like mine, would i do one in the center of the pool, or one in the center of each end?

thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

in case you dont know, this is what im talking about:

http://www.winterpoolsupplies.com/product/sku/560018?utm_source=become&utm_medium=cse&gdftrk=gdfV2589_a_7c987_a_7c3928_a_7c560018

They are great. I purchased one of the better pool drains about 9 years ago it lasted 5 years until it got torn by a tree branch. The name is EZ Drain. You can still see videos on the internet. I do not know what happened to the company but this was the best one out there. EZ Drain had everything incorporated into the cover including foam to keep the drain at the perfect height and screening to keep leaves out of the drain. I purchased another drain similar to the one you are looking at and it works good. I have had it for 4 years now and time for a new cover but I will reuse the drain. My concern with your drain is the size of the discharge hose is small. When the water freezes and thaws the smaller the hose the less water can come off the top. All that said I would never go back to having to buy pillows, pump water off the cover any more. I simply love it. Some people have concerns about the drain getting clogged with leaves. In the fall time I use a leaf net on top of the winter cover as soon as the leaves stop dropping and the water starts to freeze I remove the net. If the drain should get clogged which happened once in 9 years simply blow into the discharge hose on the side of the pool. I am going to be looking for another winter cover. If I can find an EZ Drain cover I will buy one again. I just found one online for $249.00. I think it is worth every penny. The supplier is going to see if they can get one for me. Again once you go to this system you will love it. The most important thing for the system to work is your pool must filled to the top of the skimmer. I use an Aquadoor on the faceplate of the skimmer and a Gizmo in the skimmer as a back up. I have had some of my friends ask about my cover and once they seen it they purchased the drain similar to yours and they love it also.

thanks for the reply Mr.mat. Fortunately I have only evergreens around me so leaves on the cover is of no concern to me. I do wonder how im going to plug my skimmers though, as I have the doughboy skimline skimmers that have the vac hole underneath the skimmer opening. Even I if I get an aquador plug, ill have to find something to plug the hole underneath.

I was just wondering how you made out? I just closed my pool with the EZdrain pool cover I just purchased on line, I finally found one again. You mentioned that you may have a problem with your skimmer. Before I used the Aquadoor to cover my skimmer I used a gizmo in the skimmer. Then I would fill the water line to the top of the skimmer. The water drain system works as long as the cover is a few inches above the return line which will become your drain line. I am not knowledgeable about your pool but I purchased my cover from Zagers on line. They have one in stock for your pool. Look at the pictures to get an idea of how the system works. Here is the thread http://www.zagerspoolspa.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=9059FF3FAF814576

Thanks for the link. I found Aquador plugs for my skimmers that cover the hole. I have not bought the cover drain yet... Trying to decide if I want to do that or just let water sit on cover and pump it off in spring. Do these drains get all the water off or just in spots?

All the water comes off with the drain. You will still have a few spots with some water, which you need to keep the cover down for the windy days. As long as the drain does not clog you are ok. Like you said you have no leaves, you should be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.