Aug 8, 2014
Oklahoma
My husband and I just bought a house with a large above ground pool. Today I went to clean the basket with the clear lid. First I turned the pump off and then removed the lid. Water was gushing. I was able to remove the debris and replace the lid. I went to turn on the pump (motor) and nothing. I'm terrified something is really wrong. My husband has check all of the connections and anything electrical. We know NOTHING about pools. I'm worried the is ruined now. The pool/pump was is great working condition. SOS!

Has he checked for a GFCI? If water got on any electrical parts, it could have tripped the GFCI.

I don't own an AG pool, but I would assume water gushing out of the lid would be normal, because the skimmer is above the pump.

Welcome to the forum :wave: we are here to help.

Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here (best you can) - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

If you have a normal pump with filter sitting on the ground next to the pool then if you remove the cover without closing a valve (may or may not have one) then water from the pool will try to rush out of the pump basket and strainer. It's normal and noting to worry about but something to avoid if you can by closing it off before you open the pump cover. It might also be the water in the filter draining back and would only drain for some seconds before slowing and stopping. Would need to see some photos of the equipment to figure it out.

There shouldn't be anything you could have done emptying the debris out that would damage the pump. :calm:

When you say you went to turn it on and nothing ... is nothing saying that the pump motor doesn't come on, it's dead or that it's coming on but not pumping ??

I thought I should throw this out; if your pump motor is running as mentioned above, but not pumping, turn it off immediately. Leaving it on is called running it dry, and can melt the pipes, connections, and seals to the pump if left on long enough. I feel this is some important information you should know.

Most importantly, take a breath. As with any emergency procedure, think about it. Un do the last thing you did. Evaluate the situation, make a decision, but be open to ideas. Basic troubleshooting. You might make an erroneous decision but it will lead you to a successful end result. Keep trying and don't panic.
Wow, I just had a epiphany, for my life questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.