Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump!!

My husband and I just bought a house with a large above ground pool. Today I went to clean the basket with the clear lid. First I turned the pump off and then removed the lid. Water was gushing. I was able to remove the debris and replace the lid. I went to turn on the pump (motor) and nothing. I'm terrified something is really wrong. My husband has check all of the connections and anything electrical. We know NOTHING about pools. I'm worried the is ruined now. The pool/pump was is great working condition. SOS!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump!!

Welcome to TFP. Can you post up some pictures and we will see what we can do to ID / help?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Has he checked for a GFCI? If water got on any electrical parts, it could have tripped the GFCI.

I don't own an AG pool, but I would assume water gushing out of the lid would be normal, because the skimmer is above the pump.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum we are here to help.

Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here (best you can) - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started

If you have a normal pump with filter sitting on the ground next to the pool then if you remove the cover without closing a valve (may or may not have one) then water from the pool will try to rush out of the pump basket and strainer. It's normal and noting to worry about but something to avoid if you can by closing it off before you open the pump cover. It might also be the water in the filter draining back and would only drain for some seconds before slowing and stopping. Would need to see some photos of the equipment to figure it out.

There shouldn't be anything you could have done emptying the debris out that would damage the pump.

When you say you went to turn it on and nothing ... is nothing saying that the pump motor doesn't come on, it's dead or that it's coming on but not pumping ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought I should throw this out; if your pump motor is running as mentioned above, but not pumping, turn it off immediately. Leaving it on is called running it dry, and can melt the pipes, connections, and seals to the pump if left on long enough. I feel this is some important information you should know.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Has he checked for a GFCI? If water got on any electrical parts, it could have tripped the GFCI.

I don't own an AG pool, but I would assume water gushing out of the lid would be normal, because the skimmer is above the pump.
    Great place to start! Could be at the plug or at the panel.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

7. Back To Top    #7

Hard to say without pics but my vote is that some of that "gushing" made its way to the plug and tripped a gfci
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

8. Back To Top    #8

Most importantly, take a breath. As with any emergency procedure, think about it. Un do the last thing you did. Evaluate the situation, make a decision, but be open to ideas. Basic troubleshooting. You might make an erroneous decision but it will lead you to a successful end result. Keep trying and don't panic.
    Wow, I just had a epiphany, for my life questions.
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator