Aeration to lower pool temp?

First Pool Judith

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2014
Georgetown, Texas
I'm not even sure if this is worth it, but I've been contemplating leaving our 12" sheer and bubbler on to keep the water moving - hoping that the pool water will not get as warm. Is this even a good idea or will it even make any noticeable degree of difference?

We're in Austin and average temps have been hitting over 100 degrees. Pool water is 92 degrees.

My concern is how much Muriatic acid I will have to add daily. I'm not worried so much about the cost - just is it a good thing to do...?

FC - 4.2
CC - 0
PH - 7.6 - I add muriatic acid every time it climbs over 7.8 which seems to be every 2-3 days. I drop it to 7.2 but it climbs pretty quickly. Pool is 9 months old.
CH - 340
CYA - 45

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Guarantee you I'd do what I needed to do to drop that pool temp in Texas. Won't hurt a thing to add more acid than normal to be able to enjoy cooler temps. Gonna run my aerator tonite! (and buy more MA in the morning).

but I've been contemplating leaving our 12" sheer and bubbler on to keep the water moving - hoping that the pool water will not get as warm.
Your idea is very solid but I am not sure you are delivering enough water into the atmosphere to get the drop you need/want.

The higher you can sling the water and the tinier the drops, the more effect evaporation will have on the pool.

Fountains are most always the most effective and you can search and find several examples on the forum. I am just not very confidant you will get the effect you want from the bubbler.

For some reason, my increase in muriatic acid cost seems remarkably small. I have never tried to figure it out but rather just been thankful it has been so economical.

I have a shower head that adjusts anywhere from a stream to a mist. I can turn the water on hot as it goes and put it on mist and by the time it hits me, its cold because the air is cooler than the water. The next size up is like a regular spray and is still hot when it hits me. Just an example from what duraleigh said.

Curious. What's your TA. Adding acid every 3 days and having it climb from 7.2 to 7.8 seems like a lot of variability unless you have a ton of water features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.