russenterprises introduction

I want to say thanks to everyone on this site for providing the information that is here. I've been lurking for a long time, and finally registered today.

My wife and I started looking for a new (to us) house about a year ago, and we both agreed that we wanted a house with a pool. I was concerned about the cost of upkeep, so I started researching it and found this site. I read every article in Pool School at least once, and started reading the forum almost daily.

Once we knew we were going to close on a house with a pool, I ordered a Taylor K-2600 test kit and tested the water as soon as we moved in. Lots of 3" puck containers around, so as expected, low PH and high CYA. The feeder was pretty much empty, so the FC was low as well, and the TA was also low.

Using what I learned here, I immediately added bleach to get the FC up, added Borax to bring the PH up, baking soda to bring the alkalinity up. It took a few days, but I finally got everything close to target. Since then, I've just been testing FC pretty much daily and adding bleach daily to keep the FC up. I test the PH occasionally, but it's stable at 7.6, so I don't worry about it.

I just did a temporary install today of a stenner-type pump to see how that works out, but that's probably a topic for another thread...

I can't imagine what it would be like if I hadn't found this site, so again, thanks everyone.

Russ