Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA to pool

I just bought a 25 lb tub and I know your suppose to put it in a sock in front of the return or in the skimmer. My question how do you know how much 80oz is? And can you handle the acid or do you need gloves? Any other tips would be appreciated.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding CYA to pool

I have a small electronic digital scale to weigh mine. Works great! Just carefully pour the stabilizer into a sock so as to not breath too much of the dust from it. I use my bare hands to squeeze the sock to help dissolve it quicker. Acid is a bit trickier. I would carefully pour it into a large measuring cup and trickle pour it into a return stream.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

A kitchen or postal scale is the easiest way to measure.

CYA is acidic but not overly strong. Just wear cleaning gloves (it's an easy enough precaution to take )
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't have a scale, pool math also gives measurement by volume (8 oz volume = 1 cup).
    80oz by weight would be about 10.5 cups CYA.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help, I just seen the volume on the calculator.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've never used gloves for handling CYA. I'm still here and still have all my fingers.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL I just used a 16 oz cup and poured about 20 oz into two socks and put one in each skimmer. Will test in a week and add more if needed, don't want to overshoot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good plan!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!