Solar cover observation for those considering heating the pool

Jun 28, 2014
Kent, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In the spirit of sharing our knowledge, I'd like to share my observations for those that are building a pool now or considering what equipment/products to use for their pool.

Our pool is a 42,000 gallon, inground and it is new. We finished it late in the fall, and filled it with water May 31st. We installed a heat pump, but it has been broken from the beginning. Yesterday, the company finally installed a new one. So, until yesterday we've had nothing to heat the pool with other than the suns rays. We do get 12 hours of direct sunlight on the pool, and it is not very windy where we live in NorthEast Ohio.

From the day we filled it, we have been very diligent about keeping our clear 12 mil solar cover on. Our pool took about 10 days to warm up to 75-80 degrees, and not much longer to be 82 or higher every day. We feel this is a comfortable swimming temperature where we can stay in the pool for hours. I notice that we typically lose 3-4 degrees overnight, and gain it all back every day.

This has been the coldest summer I can remember, and our nights have been in the 50's, whereas typically this time of year it might still be above 80 degrees air temp at night.

My conclusion- I wish I would not have bought a $3500 heat pump, nor paid to have it wired and installed. It seems I'm going to heat the water up 5 days quicker at the beginning of the swim season, and that is about all I will gain. It seems that even with this mild summer the water temp has been perfect, and using the solar cover with the roller has been pretty easy.

I hope someone can learn from my experience.

Thanks for sharing the information! I've been delaying pulling the trigger on a solar cover this whole summer and my pool while very refreshing at 76-78 degrees would be better to enjoy longer if it were over 80. I'll get one some day...

We also have a solar cover and we have a propane heater. We rarely use the heater June-Aug. the value is in May and Sept. We are able to extend our swim days by about a month, 2 weeks on either end. No matter what, the solar cover alone isn't going to cut it in May or Sept in NH. I predict you'll be happy to have the heat pump at the end of the season when you get one 90 degree day after a week of 50's and you want to get in one more swim before you have to face winter.

I have used my propane heater a total of 4 times here in central MA. It's been a consistent 78-82deg come June through now. I only use it when we have parties. I got a smokin' deal on the heater and I like having propane tanks for other uses, so it's totally been worth it to me.

I don't have a solar cover, but kind of wish I had one now. That way if I did decide to turn the heater on, the warmth can survive a bit longer due to the cold nights we've been having. I wouldn't have wanted to use it at all in June through early Aug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.