First time build in So. Cal (Riverside Co). Fairly complex ideas, would like advice.

I do not have a comment on the pool and materials as that is not in my range of knowledge.

BUT I will talk about your 4 yr old son. Boy do they move fast! In the blink of an eye for sure. Like you said into EVERY thing especially if they know you do not want them in it.

Saying that I worry about depending on a cover to keep him safe. My biggest worry would be if/when he does get out to the pool with the cover on it and the cover giving way and trapping him inside the folds.

My ideas- FENCE with safety gate and latch. Of course he can climb it so next would be pool alarm. I would also put locks AND alarms on all of the house doors.

I would also look into swim lessons to teach him what to do when he falls in.

Good luck!

Kim

Thanks for the response. Our concern was that he would quickly figure out around a fence. The cover would be installed on rails under the coping and can be locked. They have photos of a work crew standing on them.

We would definitely never rely on it as a babysitter, it would be a last resort. We have alarms on the doors that chime if he goes outside and swimming lessons for sure!!

I'm unsure what to build the rear retaining wall out of. I won't be able to go a rock or veneer look on it, because the size of it is just going to be an arm and leg. I'm thinking stucco with some veneer pilars, but wondering if there's a more natural look than stucco for a wall like this?

What I did is had my retaining walls shot with the same material they used for the pool shell. We then put a stone veneer on it

The pool design is beautiful - I know the engineering for the various grades in CA is always a challenge and that's where the budget can get eaten up quickly. Martin Kennedy's walls look great - so if that saves you money - it's well worth looking at.

I'm unsure what to build the rear retaining wall out of. I won't be able to go a rock or veneer look on it, because the size of it is just going to be an arm and leg. I'm thinking stucco with some veneer pilars, but wondering if there's a more natural look than stucco for a wall like this?

What I did is had my retaining walls shot with the same material they used for the pool shell. We then put a stone veneer on it

Ok this is where my lack of knowledge causes confusion so if this is a dumb question, please understand that I'm not trying to be, but how would that save a lot? Is the pool shell a less expensive material? Wouldn't the stone veneer still jump the price?

- - - Updated - - -

Ask the pool builders to price out all the pool equipment. See if any will allow you to get the equipment yourself.

Do you mean buy all the equipment myself and have them bid for just install?

What would be a conservative estimate for equipment if I shopped around and bought economical items?

Btw: thanks all for the responses, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!

We have an autocover and it will be the best spent money given your scenario. All in the cover will be $10-15K especially if you want the pit cover to be a walk on type of stone/concrete matching your coping. That's what we did.

On your wall, have a look at our build in my signature. The walls are done with a franchised product called Stonemakers. It's concrete that can be stacked and then carved and stained. It is a huge labor saving because the wall is done in one day (minus staining). It was two days in our case because the wall surrounds the pool and is about 200' long. Plenty of info on Stonemakers via the web. It's a realistic option to get a nice looking wall for a "somewhat" reasonable price...don't think cheap though.

Just make sure if you have any fountains that pour into the pool (or a spa that overflows) that they program in an interlock into the automation system to keep the fountains from running when the cover is closed. Sounds silly but it empties the pool onto the cover and then the cover rips because there is no water supporting it. (Not me but a story from our installer.)

The autocover is pretty darn safe as you have mentioned. The only caveat is always needing to have the cover pump on it and ensure it is working when the pool is covered. Otherwise water will just build up on top and be a hazzard as the water pools if you go on the cover while wet.

Highly recommend SWCG for chlorination. It should be your first choice in my opinion unless there is a reason not to do it (i.e. soft stone susceptible to erosion).

Best of luck. I'm happy to provide any other feedback if you have questions. A hill and safety were our top two concerns while building (and adequate deck space).

- - - Updated - - -

I did notice that your concept drawing doesn't show the required real estate for an autocover (mainly the pit which extends beyond the pool on both sides - more on the motor end). It will have an impact on design so don't wait too late in the design game to consider that piece.

- - - Updated - - -

And your spa and "pond" are not covered - a safety concern in your case. You can get an autocover for your upper level spa too though, just budget and extra $10K!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bmoreswim- I love your photos, that's exactly what I would like.

I really like the look of the stonemakers, a few questions.

How does the price compared to a stucco wall of similiar size? If this would fit my budget it would give us the exact type of look we wanted!

Any disadvantages? How is the durability?

How many contractors can do this type of work?

Also on the covers, the plan is to use a snap down for the spa. Any suggestions on that?

I really think by the time you get everything done your cost is going to be at 110k or more especially with such a nice design. So 87 k right now is really not that bad.

Yes, a 100k+ bid would not surprise me at all, and if the builder was the one I liked, I wouldn't hesitate going a little beyond my budget, but must save a little for a patio cover and bbq that I'm going to do myself. We also want a few luxury extras like LED lights/remote and who knows, maybe a few other things that we can live without, but need to have :)

It depends on what material you were thinking of using. The retaining wall could have a concrete footer with block construction, green coat, brown coat and finally the stucco. You would need someone that can lay concrete block, or you can have shotcrete wall with rebar, brown coat and stucco and finally shotcrete wall with rebar and stone. Before you give up on the stone try and get some quotes. My thought was not so much about saving money, it was about getting the stone façade you may want at a reasonable cost.

Our current thoughts are to bid the pool seperate from the concrete work. Our thinking is that the grading, walls and concrete are as much work as the pool and bidding it as two jobs can allow some better prices on the landscape side, as opposed to having the pool builder assume that responsibility.

We're going to bring in some concrete companies this week and see what we can come up with.

My only hesitation is having to coordinate between the trades.

I think separately contracting those pieces would be good. Let them both know you expect them to work together and have them let you know the key points to making that process go well ahead of time.

Not sure about cost versus block/stucco. Stucco wasn't on my list. Durability of 12" thick concrete with rebar is measured beyond my years.

For us we lucked out because the PB we wanted was a Stonemakers dealer. That's how I found them. They should be identifiable via the website.

OK, so by chance, I'm getting a bid for grading and the guy knows a pool engineer.

http://www.briancullingworthdesigns.com/home.html

Just talked to him and seemed very knowledgeable. He offered to design me up the exact features that I want and do all the engineering and paperwork for permits. His fee is reasonable I believe (3500), and he says any problems with the city and he'll go down and take care of anything that comes up.

So I'm seriously considering doing it this way as I am self employed and would have the time to take on this project. I've worked almost 10 years in construction when I was younger (5 years as a plumber), so I understand general construction.

I wonder if it's worth saving 30% to do it myself and sub out the work? The money is a serious factor because I'm stretching my budget to fit everything I want. Doing it this way may solve any financial issues of fitting into my budget.

He also says he knows people he can recommend if I need help finding trades for certain jobs.

Should I roll the dice and gamble on myself?

If you can find the reputable subs in the trade and you have construction background then I think you should be fine doing yourself. Many people build the pool this way on this forum. I do not have enough knowledge about building process so I am paying the steep price of having a general contractor to overseeing the construction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.