Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can tests be affected by whether or not your pump is running?

1. Back To Top    #1

can tests be affected by whether or not your pump is running?

Just curious, but if I'm doing my test for FC and CC or an overnight loss test, does whether or not the pump is running affect my results?

When it's not running, does chlorine stay evenly distributed throughout the pool, or does it gravitate toward the surface or floor?
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can tests be affected by whether or not your pump is running?

If you are doing the OCLT because you are SLAMing, your pump should be running 24/7 anyway.

While chlorine in the jug is more dense than water, once it is mixed throughout the bulk pool water you aren't going to see it settle back out.

If sun is on the pool and there is no water flow, FC will be lost faster at the surface than at the bottom so this could cause an FC gradient.

My question is, why is this an issue? It seems obvious that you want to do all tests with the chemicals well mixed.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally speaking you should test after the pump has been running for 30 minutes. Otherwise you aren't getting the real picture of your chemistry state.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup View Post
    If you are doing the OCLT because you are SLAMing, your pump should be running 24/7 anyway.

While chlorine in the jug is more dense than water, once it is mixed throughout the bulk pool water you aren't going to see it settle back out.

If sun is on the pool and there is no water flow, FC will be lost faster at the surface than at the bottom so this could cause an FC gradient.

My question is, why is this an issue? It seems obvious that you want to do all tests with the chemicals well mixed.
    I was just curious. I ran an OCLT, and passed, but realized my night reading and morning reading were taken with one during pump run time and one when the pump was off. (not SLAMing, just saw some bugs and wanted to be sure I was good)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the responses.
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep