How to stop PH rise

Xexys

May 11, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
When I first came to this site I thought I would like to keep my PH around 7.5. After two months of using my TF-100 and dialing in my new salt cell and run time I charted my numbers in Microsoft Excel. A pattern has shown me that my pool likes a PH of 7.8. My other numbers are:
CL-5.0
CC-0.0
TA-80
CH-350
Cya-80
Salt-3,400
Borates-50

By not putting in any chemicals at all I've achieved these numbers. The PH hasn't climbed from 7.8 in almost 3 weeks. I'm thinking I'll just leave it there. Not only that, but with the PH at this value, my CSI index has fallen to the ideal range of -0.18 which has almost wiped away the salt water line around the pool on it's own. I went in the pool today and used some muriatic acid to finish off the salt line (more calcium build up I think) and wowie wow no more white line. My maintenance costs for the last two months are negligible as the only chemical I use now is MA and now I won't be using any of that anymore unless something goes out of whack.

Thank you TFP and thank you Dave for making the TF-100 available to all of us to take control of our pools. I never thought I could do this with no cost at all but the numbers don't lie. I've not spent a dime since June 1st and still have two gallons of liquid chlorine unopened from that buy. Feels good to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor by sipping drinks in my favorite floatie. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

I think you've graduated from Pool School.
attachment.php

Now you can start answering noobie questions.

I don't know what the cost of running the SWG is because it's hooked up to the main drain pump. I really just mean that after adding borates on June 29th, my PH has not risen past 7.8. I left the pool alone for 10 days, a vacation of 5 days was included in the 10 days. I purposely didn't test for anything or add anything during the 10 day period so I could see what would happen. Since the addition of borates, the water has never tested over 7.8 for PH. Getting the TA in line (70 ppm) before the addition of borates was crucial indeed. The only chemical I added in the month of June was muriatic acid that I had on hand from an earlier buy. So really I guess I have put money in the pool, just not new money. :) Since June 29th though, I've not put any chemicals in the pool. The SWG has kept up with the chlorine levels that I need.

Here is a picture that I've posted before. Since this picture, I've gotten rid of the salt line around the whole pool. That was relatively easy with a squirt bottle of diluted muriatic acid and a scrub brush.

I think you've graduated from Pool School.
attachment.php

Now you can start answering noobie questions.

Yes, I believe that your guidance when I first started here on this site was very helpful. You always give out quick and detailed advice which I especially adhere to. I always look for your posts as I gain knowledge almost every time you post.

I've actually been giving advice, mostly in the SWG sub-forums, as I've learned quite a bit about that since I replaced my SWG. Also, I've torn apart both of my Whisperflo's and dole out advice when applicable in that area. I also had to replace both valve bottoms as they developed a leak about 2 weeks apart from one another. Had to cut the old one's out and put coupler's on to get the new one's connected. About a month before that, both valve tops split open about a week apart. Living in the desert is not without fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.