Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liquid chlorine degradation

1. Back To Top    #1

liquid chlorine degradation

I have done some forum searches on the subject & realize liquid sodium hypochlorite will degrade over time & at higher temperatures & sun exposure

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ine+shelf+life

So having considered all that is it a better idea to go with a 15gallon tank or 30 gallon tank on a Stenner pump install ?

This will be sitting outside by the pool equipment & will get some early morning sun but be in the shade of the house most of the day yet still exposed to
    90+ summer ambient air temps

I like the idea of a 30gallon tank for fewer trips to the chlorine store but if it degrades too much over that time frame I'll get the 15 gallon tank

I'll be using 10% liquid chlorine

Thanks
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: liquid chlorine degradation

Or you could go with a 30 gallon tank diluted by 50%. It may not use as much chlorine as the 15 gallon without dilution since the degradation of chlorine is also dependent on concentration.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

How about a 30 gallon tank, 50% chlorine, 50% water from your pool. That will give your chlorine tank a CYA level half of what your pool is and wont add any CYA. That will only help from the UV rays. Put a fan on it or build a top to go over it to shade it all day. My bleach sits outside in a building that gets hot and I dont notice any percentage loss before the bleach gets used up but mine gets used in about 2 weeks maximum.

Looks like a 30 gallon tank of 50-50 will last you anywhere from 22 to 32 days with FC loss of 3 and 2ppm per day. That gives you 5% liquid chlorine and according to this chart http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/about_product.htm you dont have anything to worry about. The UV rays will probably eat it up faster than the heat, but thats where the pool water comes in.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

diluting sounds like a good idea , well I think I'll go with the 30gallon tank then , gives me more options

I'm already contemplating ways to provide more shade over the tank ......
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

If you dilute, you should use water with NO metals, not even trace amounts. Distilled or deionized water would be best, but if you are sure your tap water has virtually no metals then that would be OK. As noted in this link, metals such as iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, zinc, and other hevay metals will rapidly degrade concentrated chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    If you dilute, you should use water with NO metals, not even trace amounts. Distilled or deionized water would be best, but if you are sure your tap water has virtually no metals then that would be OK. As noted in this link, metals such as iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, zinc, and other hevay metals will rapidly degrade concentrated chlorine.
    OK , good to know