cheap and easy extra pool heat

Jul 5, 2014
Lynchburg
took a pool noodle, bent into the letter "U" slid a thick contractor grade black trash bag over it, left the ends open, tied it to the side of the pool with a 3' string.
Water flows in and out of the open end, getting warmed up while trapped inside. Same concept as the DIY hula hoop lily pads...but with less work. made 2 of them in 2 minutes.

the string keeps it out of the intake suction....and I tied them on the side of the pool that gets the most sun.

You could stick your hand under the contraptions and feel a temp difference....its not going to heat the whole pool...but they don't hurt anything floating there and will add a little extra warmth when left in for days on end.

I dont have an account to upload pics to, but there is not much to take a picture of......bend the noodle into the letter U and hold the two ends with one hand....slide it into the open trash bag and then let go of the two ends of the noodle...the noodle will spring back open and be held by the bag....that's it. tie one of the corners of the bag to the side...I tied one of the unopened corners (bottom of the bag) so I wouldn't mess with the water flowing in and out.
As it floats water will ease in and out of the open end naturally....and the water under it will warm up also.

Isn't the bag supposed to be open so water can get in? I admit, I am unsure what forces flow in and out of the bag or at least enough flow to heat the water enough to notice.

that's exactly what I did.....except I left the end open....so the water just eases in and out on its own, my guess is just due to the thermal that is created inside the bag. I suppose you could put a few holes in the "bottom" of the bag to increase flow....but that may cut down on the resultant heat output.

but you know......it is possible that this tied version will work better....the trapped air will be heated by the sun and be transferred to the water below....
Now I want to make a both versions and toss a thermometer under each one out of curiosity.

Thanks for posting the pics WitchyD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This will warm the pool a little because it prevent evaporation, but it isn't significantly better at absorbing heat than water. Most of the potential solar heat gets absorbed by the water without the trash bag. A true solar cover would be even better, but then it costs more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.