Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cheap and easy extra pool heat

1. Back To Top    #1

cheap and easy extra pool heat

took a pool noodle, bent into the letter "U" slid a thick contractor grade black trash bag over it, left the ends open, tied it to the side of the pool with a 3' string.
    Water flows in and out of the open end, getting warmed up while trapped inside. Same concept as the DIY hula hoop lily pads...but with less work. made 2 of them in 2 minutes.

the string keeps it out of the intake suction....and I tied them on the side of the pool that gets the most sun.

You could stick your hand under the contraptions and feel a temp difference....its not going to heat the whole pool...but they don't hurt anything floating there and will add a little extra warmth when left in for days on end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cheap and easy extra pool heat

Id like to see a picture of this.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont have an account to upload pics to, but there is not much to take a picture of......bend the noodle into the letter U and hold the two ends with one hand....slide it into the open trash bag and then let go of the two ends of the noodle...the noodle will spring back open and be held by the bag....that's it. tie one of the corners of the bag to the side...I tied one of the unopened corners (bottom of the bag) so I wouldn't mess with the water flowing in and out.
    As it floats water will ease in and out of the open end naturally....and the water under it will warm up also.

4. Back To Top    #4

hmm i just cant understand but i would love to see pics as also
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

5. Back To Top    #5

LOVE this idea! I'm totally doing this and I'll post a pic. Those DIY lily pads are cool but they are a lot of work. I've made two and lost steam!

6. Back To Top    #6

Less than 30 mins later:image.jpg
    I modified by tying the ends of the bag together with the string that I attached to the side. ��

7. Back To Top    #7

Does the water flow thru the bag or just pass by on top?

8. Back To Top    #8

Isn't the bag supposed to be open so water can get in? I admit, I am unsure what forces flow in and out of the bag or at least enough flow to heat the water enough to notice.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

that's exactly what I did.....except I left the end open....so the water just eases in and out on its own, my guess is just due to the thermal that is created inside the bag. I suppose you could put a few holes in the "bottom" of the bag to increase flow....but that may cut down on the resultant heat output.

10. Back To Top    #10

but you know......it is possible that this tied version will work better....the trapped air will be heated by the sun and be transferred to the water below....
    Now I want to make a both versions and toss a thermometer under each one out of curiosity.

Thanks for posting the pics WitchyD

11. Back To Top    #11

If you do post your results. I am curious at what they will do.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

This will warm the pool a little because it prevent evaporation, but it isn't significantly better at absorbing heat than water. Most of the potential solar heat gets absorbed by the water without the trash bag. A true solar cover would be even better, but then it costs more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

yeah its no solar cover....just a little passive heat from the black bag catching some rays.
    I couldn't find a solar cover when shopping for one so I tossed a few of these in the pool to try and knock the chill off the just filled pool.