First pool under construction. Please provide some help! Marietta GA

sims1dh

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2014
marietta/ga
We have just began the construction of our first pool. I wish I could of found this site prior to starting the process. I live on a very steep lot, so I had a hard time finding reasonable quotes. The good thing is I still have time to make changes to my equipment. Please take a look of what I have and answer a few questions for me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gunite pool/spa combo
spa will be level with pool deck
perimeter of 89 about 97 with spa
34 x 19 free form
area 505
3-5 1/2 deep
Travertine coping
AquaPure salt system
Pebble stone finish
Jandy flopro pump 2hp dual speed - one pump will run pool and spa
Jandy JS sand filter 30"
1 Jandy led color pool light
Jandy 250k gas heater
Polaris 280 pressure cleaner
400 sqft of pool decking Belgard Lafitt pavers ( will be adding 500 more on my own. (i didn't want to pay the price to have them do it)

1- The price as of now is right at 50k. Is that a good price for what I'm getting?
2- Should I pay 400.00 to add a light to the spa?
3- What is everyone thoughts on the equipment? Should I upgrade anything?
4- I would like to ad some automation down the line, what should i change now to make that process easier?
5- They dug my pool on Friday and put rebar in of Sunday. What they have done so far looks very good and professional. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen them all week?
6- Please provide any general ideas or thoughts on the project.

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 880
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 877
  • photo 4 (1).JPG
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 877
  • photo 5 (1).JPG
    photo 5 (1).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 874
  • photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 875
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea as far as price comparison.
Your equipment looks reasonable. A 2-speed pump is a good choice and a nice big filter.
A bigger heater will heat the spa faster (still use same amount of gas), if your pipes will support it ... although looks like a pretty small spa.

I did not get a light in spa at previous house ... personally do not see it as needed.

You must also have a booster pump for that pressure cleaner. I would reconsider that so you do not need 2 pumps on to have the cleaner running.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea as far as price comparison.
Your equipment looks reasonable. A 2-speed pump is a good choice and a nice big filter.
A bigger heater will heat the spa faster (still use same amount of gas), if your pipes will support it ... although looks like a pretty small spa.

I did not get a light in spa at previous house ... personally do not see it as needed.

You must also have a booster pump for that pressure cleaner. I would reconsider that so you do not need 2 pumps on to have the cleaner running.

thanks for the advice

Make sure all of the valves used are neverlube, Jandy valves. Thy can be automated later if you want to.
You can't automate ball valves which a lot of PB' use.

Thats a very nice looking dig too. Everything is nice and neat and straight. Very nice indeed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1- The price as of now is right at 50k. Is that a good price for what I'm getting?
Looks fair to me.

Personally I would. A second one in the pool as well.

I like that they selected a 2 speed - good choice

4- I would like to ad some automation down the line, what should i change now to make that process easier?
Make sure the valves are Jandy Neverlube, it is easy to bolt automation to them.

5- They dug my pool on Friday and put rebar in of Sunday. What they have done so far looks very good and professional. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen them all week?
Perfectly normal (and madly frustrating)

Think hard about the pebbletec. Some people don't like the surface due to its roughness (tears up kids feet)

Looks fair to me.

Personally I would. A second one in the pool as well.

I like that they selected a 2 speed - good choice

Make sure the valves are Jandy Neverlube, it is easy to bolt automation to them.

Perfectly normal (and madly frustrating)

Think hard about the pebbletec. Some people don't like the surface due to its roughness (tears up kids feet)

the finish is actually an off brand version of pebbletec. I believe its call pebblestone, if anyone has some feedback it please chime in.

I'm not sure where the current light is, but make sure it is not on the side of the pool to where it will point directly at the house. You want pointing towards the rear of the lot, not the back of the house. If adding a second light, do not have it on the front or rear of the pool. (You do not want to be swimming straight towards a bright light at the end of the deep end, or the front of the shallow end) I have read threads of woe where people left it up to builder to decide where to place lights, and were unhappy post=gunite. At that point, there's not really anything to be done about it.

Also, I would put a light in the spa. They make them smaller sized specifically for spas. My parents had the spa lighted at their pool, and I thought it looked nice. (You can always leave it turned off when you don't want it on...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.