Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would a larger pool lose less heat overnight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would a larger pool lose less heat overnight?

Hi all,

I wondering how much the size of a pool would affect heat loss overnight? Currently I have a 12' Intex that is 30" deep, approximately 1500 gallons. At the end of July the peak daily temperature was 33* and dropped to 28* the next morning. This was with a solar blanket. I was thinking of upgrading to an oval 12x24 Intex next year with approximately 8400 gallons. Would the larger pool lose less heat overnight or would it be about the same?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would a larger pool lose less heat overnight?

About the same, all things being equal. Perhaps a little less as larger the body of water, the more stable it is. If you will cover the entire top as in sealing it up tight as much as possible, it will help. That said AG pools can lose a staggering amount of temp on cool nights. Even here in TX. I've lived it...painfully.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Would a larger pool lose less heat overnight?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at getting a heater and still deciding NG or HP. Looking at the HP and 8400 gallon pool I'm worried that it wouldn't be able to keep up with the heat loss overnight with a temperature low of 55F.