Salt water plants

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
Anyone have any ideas for some decorative plants to go in a 4-6" space between deck and block wall that would be salt water tolerant?
Wasn't really sure where to post this one.
We are in the final stages of planning as we begin to remodel.
Looking into plants and possible landscape lighting. Maybe pentair intellibrites to go with pool and spa lights. Easy touch system.
Thanks

Contact a good local nursery and your county Ag extension office. Also any local certified master gardeners will be willing to help as well. One of our Mods-Melt In The Sun, may shed some light for you too.

I have beds on either side of my swg pool and so far everything is still alive - I have lirope, cannas, geraniums, Red sister cordyline, variegated fountain grass, euphorbia, agapanthus, and two palm trees. I'm more worried about the heat and inability to water due to water restrictions than the salt from the pool.

I have planters like you mentioned above.. and my biggest issue is the heat. I have drip systems installed in the planters that give plenty of water, but the reflected heat from the wall behind and concrete deck in front are what cause my plants to die. Where I have darker wooden fence and partial shade during the day (East / West fences), my plants flourish. My South facing wall with planter gets full sun all day and reeks havoc on my plants. I recently added a second system with small sprayers that put a second watering during the hottest part of the day to help with the heat issue. I will see if it works.

Forgot to mention... these planters are all within 5 feet of the pool all the way around, and I have no problems with salt water splash out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.