Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water plants

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water plants

Anyone have any ideas for some decorative plants to go in a 4-6" space between deck and block wall that would be salt water tolerant?
    Wasn't really sure where to post this one.
    We are in the final stages of planning as we begin to remodel.
    Looking into plants and possible landscape lighting. Maybe pentair intellibrites to go with pool and spa lights. Easy touch system.
    Thanks
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water plants

Contact a good local nursery and your county Ag extension office. Also any local certified master gardeners will be willing to help as well. One of our Mods-Melt In The Sun, may shed some light for you too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I moved this to the Backyard Oasis so you may get more views / responses.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

There is so little salt in a salt water poll that anything should do fine. Heck, my cats drink it!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

So the pool water in general is not enough to kill plants?

6. Back To Top    #6

I have beds on either side of my swg pool and so far everything is still alive - I have lirope, cannas, geraniums, Red sister cordyline, variegated fountain grass, euphorbia, agapanthus, and two palm trees. I'm more worried about the heat and inability to water due to water restrictions than the salt from the pool.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

7. Back To Top    #7

I have planters like you mentioned above.. and my biggest issue is the heat. I have drip systems installed in the planters that give plenty of water, but the reflected heat from the wall behind and concrete deck in front are what cause my plants to die. Where I have darker wooden fence and partial shade during the day (East / West fences), my plants flourish. My South facing wall with planter gets full sun all day and reeks havoc on my plants. I recently added a second system with small sprayers that put a second watering during the hottest part of the day to help with the heat issue. I will see if it works.

Forgot to mention... these planters are all within 5 feet of the pool all the way around, and I have no problems with salt water splash out.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir