High Alkalinity / Low ph

Aug 7, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I've been fighting this battle for 10 years, and no one has given me workable solution. My pool is 9000 gallons, fiberglass/ceramic, and is covered during the winter. Water is extremely hard and very high ph (Las Vegas). I use triclor. Within several weeks of opening the pool, the ph drops dramatically. I continually add ph increase on a weekly basis, which, in turn, dramatically raises total alkalinity and scaling begins. Some have suggested adding muriatic acid to drop the alkalinity, which, in turn, drops the ph. Others have suggested not worrying about the alkalinity. I usually just end up dealing with having to raise the ph, live with the higher alkalinity, brush away the scale, and change out half the water each spring. Any advice?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Your pH is dropping because you are use the trichlor tablets.
What is in "ph increase"? If you use borax to raise the pH, the TA will not rise as much.

You do realize that the tablets are raising your CYA level as well and ultimately that too will required replacing water, right?

I suggest starting to read some of Pool School starting with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You don't need to use pH Increase. Just aerate the water somehow - fountain, turn returns upward, etc. That way TA will lower, and in turn eventually will stabilize pH.
His pH won't stabilize if he continues to use Trichlor tabs since they are acidic. He needs to 1) get a proper test kit, 2) post a full set of test results, 3) take corrective action based on those test results. I suspect the CYA is high so that a partial drain/refill may be needed, but we should get accurate test results first before recommending anything.

His pH won't stabilize if he continues to use Trichlor tabs since they are acidic. He needs to 1) get a proper test kit, 2) post a full set of test results, 3) take corrective action based on those test results. I suspect the CYA is high so that a partial drain/refill may be needed, but we should get accurate test results first before recommending anything.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get on this. Any suggestions instead of triclor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.