pump vs sand filter size

fordsbyjay

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
Lafayette, LA
I have a 0.5 hspr pump on my pool that I replaced a bunch of years ago. At the time I had calculated it takes 8 hours to turn over my pool so according to all the posts I had read here there was no reason for a larger pump. This year I have had two pool people tell me my pump is too small so I have been asking around to "feel out" what other pool people have to say. Everyone says I need a 1 1/2 hspr pumo. Today while getting a new seal for my pump the guy told me I should size the pump to the size of the sand filter otherwise the water won't move through the filter fast enough to flush/clean the water. That is a new one to me. I'm curious if anyone else has ever heard that.

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-whisperflo-high-performance-pump-193.htm

It's hard to read the above pic so here is a better shot of the specs.

The curve key for the WFE-2 is E. I'm not sure why all my pics above are so hard to read.

Jason

I can not see how some are saying a 0.5 HP pump is too big? :scratch: Although the Whisperflo is a bigger pump line than say the Superflo. So your pump actually moves slightly more water than my 1HP Superflo does. Certainly seems appropriate for your pool.

There is some truth to a pump being too small for a sand or DE filter. During the backwash you need a decent amount of flow to do a go job cleaning the filter out. During filtering, they actually work better the slower the flow goes through the filter ... there is a reason people buy the VS and 2-speed pumps.

If your motor ever dies, consider getting a 2-speed replacement as you can save a good bit of money on power by running on low speed.

I can not see how some are saying a 0.5 HP pump is too big? :scratch: Although the Whisperflo is a bigger pump line than say the Superflo. So your pump actually moves slightly more water than my 1HP Superflo does. Certainly seems appropriate for your pool.

There is some truth to a pump being too small for a sand or DE filter. During the backwash you need a decent amount of flow to do a go job cleaning the filter out. During filtering, they actually work better the slower the flow goes through the filter ... there is a reason people buy the VS and 2-speed pumps.

If your motor ever dies, consider getting a 2-speed replacement as you can save a good bit of money on power by running on low speed.

OOPS, typo on my part. I meant to say to small.

Definitely not too small. The smaller the pump the better for filtration. Thus the recommendation for a 2-speed.

Like I said, your pump moves more water than mine and I am running a big solar heating array.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.