Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph

My water has been testing great all summer - ph is always at 7.4 alk at 90 cya is 35 chlorine levels I keep on yesterday I checked my ph and it's like 7.8-8.0 but my alk is still at 90 what would make that rise? I am waiting for some new regents to come in - my ph regent is very low and it's from last summer and wonder if maybe that could be throwing it off ?? Also they are adding on to a new subdivision across street and have been kicking up dirt - wonder if that would have any play into it? I am constantly battling dirt in my pool my cc is at 0 so I don't think it's algae at all
    24 foot round above ground(installed 8/2011), 52 inches high, 13500 gallons, Hayward pump 1.5 hp, cartridge filter, former user of the backpac system from watsons, and use the Taylor k2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph

pH can be driven up by anything that aerates the water (bubblers, SWG, waterfalls, splashing, etc.), or adding fill water that has high pH. Algae won't make pH rise.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok so then maybe from my hubby rocking the tubes to make big waves for the kiddos a few times? We haven't got to really use the pool much in last 6 weeks as my daughter broke her arm though -
    But he did do that a few times- should I add some ph down or acid or wait til new regent comes in
    24 foot round above ground(installed 8/2011), 52 inches high, 13500 gallons, Hayward pump 1.5 hp, cartridge filter, former user of the backpac system from watsons, and use the Taylor k2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

pH of 7.8 won't hurt anything while you wait. If you feel it is 8.0, you could target 7.5 and lower the pH with acid. No need to spend the extra money on pH down.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I hate using them liquid acid in the vinyl liner - scares me

6. Back To Top    #6

Nothing to be scared of. Remember it comes in a plastic bottle. Just pour it in very slowly near a return. I just got done only minutes ago adding acid to my pool. Yes, I have plaster, but it isn't a big deal.

What I do is put the bottle in the water just enough that pool water can't come back into the jug. Then slowly pour it in. This way there's almost zero chance of any splashing or accidentally pouring too fast.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a vinyl liner, and the way I add acid is to add one or two cups of acid to water in a 2-1/2 gallon bucket. Then I pour that diluted acid slowly in front of a return while the pump is running on high. If I need more acid I repeat. Then I brush the whole pool.

Nothing to be scared of. Just don't take a big whiff with your head above the bottle of acid.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

How long is the required time for ph down to reduce the ph in pool? I added some and wonder how long before possibly adding more

9. Back To Top    #9

With pH down, I'm not certain but after a full hour with a pump on it should be fully distributed. A little brushing before testing would help. With liquid muriatic acid, 30 minutes is usually plenty of time to retest.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

For liquid chemicals I went to Lowes and bought one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_40009-84240-...ductId=3726833

It has oz. and mL marks on the side (oz. in 8oz. increments up to 64oz.) I usually just pour the Chlorine or Acid into the small bucket and then use it to pour into the pool (rinsing the bucket out between chems of course)
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989