Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool balancing chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool balancing chemicals

I've been doing TFP for a few years with our previous pool, but somehow I still second guess myself. I'd just like a fresh set of eyes to check that I'm doing things right.
    We just moved and built new pool, which was filled 11 days ago. I know there will be fluctuations for a while due to new plaster curing so for now, I will post my last two results (with TF-100).
    Yesterday 8:30am
    CC - 0
    FC - 2 (added 160 oz of 8.2% bleach)
    Ph - 7.2 (I've been adding MA for the last week to keep it between 7.2 & 7.5 and it seems like it finally stopped creeping up).
    TA - 100 (also has been dropping slowly with the balancing of Ph, it was 130 last week)
    CH - 110 (added 5lb of hardness plus yesterday, in three increments in a span of 2 hours)

Today's results stayed the same (chlorine is not holding up) but CH did go up to 170.
    Questions:
    -Normal that chlorine is dropping this much?
    -Do I keep raising the CH until I reach 250? Or do I focus on lowering TA?

Thank you!!
    Built in 2014, 18,000gal, plaster, in ground, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 2.0 HP, Booster Pump, Cartridge filters, inline chlorinator, automatic cleaner, Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater, Silencer for SPA.
    Bloody hot summers in Katy, TX; the rest of the year is just plain hot!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool balancing chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by mvoorn View Post
    Today's results stayed the same (chlorine is not holding up) but CH did go up to 170.
    Questions:
    -Normal that chlorine is dropping this much?
    Have you added CYA/Stabilizer? With a fresh fill and none added the sun is going to burn off the FC in a few hours
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, 2ppm FC will drop to zero quickly, especially if CYA is 0. Of course if CYA is 40, 2ppm FC is too low anyway.

Yes, shoot for 250 on CH for now, it may creep up on its own for a few weeks with new plaster. Don't lower pH to 7.2 or likely your CSI is going to go too low with CH of 250 or lower. Use PoolMath, fill it all in, and report back what it says for CSI at 7.2. I had this same problem with my pool after replastering.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you want to ignore the CH and TA for a little while with new plaster as they will rise as the plaster cures, although bumping the CH up to around 200ppm should be safe.

As Tim said, you chlorine problem is because you do not appear to have added stabilizer. You should add at least 30ppm and eventually target 50ppm due to your location.
    How are you adding chlorine?
    Are you actually using the inline chlorinator listed in your signature?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I forgot, the PB did add stabilizer, my CYA test on Sunday marked 40.
    I'm adding just plain old Walmart liquid bleach: NOOOoOooo to the puck inline chlorination (I should edit that to say 'not in use')!
    I'm trying to keep my FC target to 5 (in track with the 40 cya).
    Built in 2014, 18,000gal, plaster, in ground, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 2.0 HP, Booster Pump, Cartridge filters, inline chlorinator, automatic cleaner, Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater, Silencer for SPA.
    Bloody hot summers in Katy, TX; the rest of the year is just plain hot!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's not unusual to drop 2-3ppm FC daily even with an adequate CYA level.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter