Mustard Algae or Pollen

May 17, 2010
FC 7.5
CC0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH50
CYA 70

All season I've had yellow stuff in the pool. Slammed back in July cleared up the cloudiness. The yellow stuff started building up again. I think it's pollen; we had a bad season of pollen this year. The stuff is on the bottom running on the seams of the vinyl liner other places mostly in the shallow end. My pool gets full sun. Brushed and put the robot in last night. I did an over night FC and measured the same as last night no contaminates! I didn't see the yellow stuff today yet. Can I assume that it's pollen?? Does mustard algae register in the overnight FC as a contaminate?

Any suggestions on getting rid of it? I wonder if I put stockings in the skimmer baskets to see if it would catch it all?

Mustard Algae may not register CCs... I've seen in it my pool when I was battling Mustard Algae... When you brush does the cloud go green? If so, it's definitely algae and not pollen IMHO.

We did have a bad pollen season, but it appears to be over a while ago.

I hope for your sake it's not mustard algae because it's a BEAR to battle against.

Mustard algae is usually on the shady sides of the pool. Pollen usually falls to the bottom. Do you see a lot pollen on the deck and/or nearby cars?

It's all located on the bottom of the pool on the lines of the vinyl never had it on the sides or floating been there all summer off and on. No pollen on the deck or cars. Could it just continue to come back if it's pollen? I only backwash every couple weeks because I use my robot not the vacuum and the PSI's are stable.

Hate to say it bust it sounds like mustard algae... you should SLAM your pool and brush as often as you can. I can tell you that it took me two weeks of SLAMMING at MUSTARD LEVEL to get it to go away.

I hope it doesn't work out for you that way.

Did you remove your light if you have one? Don't think we can do that because of it's location. But all of the algae is on the bottom.
I was afraid that's what I have to do.. :(

Anyone else have any input?

I am not sure it is Mustard Algae. You have a sand filter and that can let small particles through. Some pollen is smaller than what a sand filter can filter out so what I would try is adding some DE to your filter (~1 PSI rise) and then manually vacuum up all the pollen. See if it then disappears. If it comes back, then I would suspect live algae of some sort. But again, all of the mustard algae outbreaks that I have read about on this forum have been on the pool walls and not the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.