Help with cloudy water

Briantuc

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
Sand was changed in filter 2 wks ago and still cloudy water is coming out of the return jets - the #'s are :
FC - .12 (1-4ppm), TC 1.4 (1-4ppm), CC 1.28 (<0.2ppm), pH 7.6 (7.2-7.6), TA 117 (80-120ppm), Calcium 200 (200-500ppm), CYA 39 (20-50ppm) .... brackets are ranges. The pump had an issue of not priming correctly, so had no filter usage for 10 days, but when it was restarted, tested, shocked, tested, and got all levels back up, but now the cloudy jet returns have started a week ago. Never had this problem before. Recirculate does clean water, so thinking it's a filter issue, pool store, pool owner don't know what to do except keep running filter 24/7.

Hey Jason ..... I spent a lot of time last night reading the ABC's and have seen where my FC is very low and the CC is very high, which could mean some form of Algae is eating the FC ..... I strip tested (I know you don't like this, but all I have at moment) this morning, filter still running, and FC still way low, CC high .... dumped in a gal of bleach, will test soon .... I'm thinking from ABC's that bleach needs to be added til FC and CC is norm ..... please correct me or more help. Thanks in advance. I'm on my way to become a TFP Supporter, and get the test kit savings .... TFP appeared and pool store disappeared !

Good choice on the TF-100 ... it ships out of Raleigh, so you should have it tomorrow :goodjob:

Once you have the test kit, you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to get the pool cleared up. Once we get the chemistry fixed up, then we can make sure the filter is working.

Post up a set of test results when you get the kit. Note there are youtube videos of all the tests linked to from tftestkits.net and there is also more detailed instructions here: Extended Test Instructions

Hey Jason .... this is what I did today - tested this morning before putting in bleach, results were all over the place .... then dumped in a gal of bleach, and this was at 11, waited til I got more bleach, took a test at 2 ish, FC and TC still wacky, so added another gal bleach at 3, and now just tested - mind you, I'm still using strips til kit gets here ..... and these strips don't have a CC - FC - 3
TC - 3
pH - 7.6
TA - 130
CYA - 40 the sun is off the pool now (usually get 6 - 8 hrs sun) so I didn't add anymore bleach now, will check later this evening and in morning, definetly seeing a difference with the jet returns not so much cloudy , and water is clearing up, but I'm not gonna stop treating ..... tomorrow I plan on backwash, rinse and go from there .... Big thanks for ur help and the info on this site, ya saved me !

Until you get the test kit and start a proper SLAM more than a gallon or two of bleach a day is really being wasted. I know you want to be doing something to fix the problem, but be patient.

Here it is Wed and pump is having issues again, an air leak that needs to have housing replaced, so I ordered housing and a K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD also, housing will be here Thurs and kit sometime next week ..... the test wasn't accurate this morning due to pump issues, but the water sure is clear as can be .... will update after pump gets restarted Thurs evening or Fri .... Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.