Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Help with cloudy water

Sand was changed in filter 2 wks ago and still cloudy water is coming out of the return jets - the #'s are :
    FC - .12 (1-4ppm), TC 1.4 (1-4ppm), CC 1.28 (<0.2ppm), pH 7.6 (7.2-7.6), TA 117 (80-120ppm), Calcium 200 (200-500ppm), CYA 39 (20-50ppm) .... brackets are ranges. The pump had an issue of not priming correctly, so had no filter usage for 10 days, but when it was restarted, tested, shocked, tested, and got all levels back up, but now the cloudy jet returns have started a week ago. Never had this problem before. Recirculate does clean water, so thinking it's a filter issue, pool store, pool owner don't know what to do except keep running filter 24/7.
    4000 Gal IG Vinyl, NO SWG, Sand Dollar, Pentair Super Flo, screened enclosure over pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you testing?

Please review the ABCs of Water Chemistry to get us on the same page.

Also take a look at what levels we recommend: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels It is important to understand the FC/CYA relationship shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

How are you saying that the pool clears on Recirculate? No water goes through the filter in that mode.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Jason ..... I spent a lot of time last night reading the ABC's and have seen where my FC is very low and the CC is very high, which could mean some form of Algae is eating the FC ..... I strip tested (I know you don't like this, but all I have at moment) this morning, filter still running, and FC still way low, CC high .... dumped in a gal of bleach, will test soon .... I'm thinking from ABC's that bleach needs to be added til FC and CC is norm ..... please correct me or more help. Thanks in advance. I'm on my way to become a TFP Supporter, and get the test kit savings .... TFP appeared and pool store disappeared !
    4000 Gal IG Vinyl, NO SWG, Sand Dollar, Pentair Super Flo, screened enclosure over pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good choice on the TF-100 ... it ships out of Raleigh, so you should have it tomorrow

Once you have the test kit, you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to get the pool cleared up. Once we get the chemistry fixed up, then we can make sure the filter is working.

Post up a set of test results when you get the kit. Note there are youtube videos of all the tests linked to from tftestkits.net and there is also more detailed instructions here: Extended Test Instructions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason ..... looking so forward to this pool problems/relationship and the kit .... since it ships out of Raleigh, can I go and pick it up to save ship charges ?

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not sure. You could call and ask.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey Jason .... this is what I did today - tested this morning before putting in bleach, results were all over the place .... then dumped in a gal of bleach, and this was at 11, waited til I got more bleach, took a test at 2 ish, FC and TC still wacky, so added another gal bleach at 3, and now just tested - mind you, I'm still using strips til kit gets here ..... and these strips don't have a CC - FC - 3
    TC - 3
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 130
    CYA - 40 the sun is off the pool now (usually get 6 - 8 hrs sun) so I didn't add anymore bleach now, will check later this evening and in morning, definetly seeing a difference with the jet returns not so much cloudy , and water is clearing up, but I'm not gonna stop treating ..... tomorrow I plan on backwash, rinse and go from there .... Big thanks for ur help and the info on this site, ya saved me !

8. Back To Top    #8

Until you get the test kit and start a proper SLAM more than a gallon or two of bleach a day is really being wasted. I know you want to be doing something to fix the problem, but be patient.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Here it is Wed and pump is having issues again, an air leak that needs to have housing replaced, so I ordered housing and a K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD also, housing will be here Thurs and kit sometime next week ..... the test wasn't accurate this morning due to pump issues, but the water sure is clear as can be .... will update after pump gets restarted Thurs evening or Fri .... Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, Fri morning, at 8:00 and pool tests are perfect numbers .... all of them .... please, don't even ask, I'm not listing them.... I'll keep checking back every so often for more info, but Thanks for the help and have a Good whatever ....

11. Back To Top    #11

Attitude?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah, ya might call it Attitude, cause of some previous comments that have since been deleted. Otherwise I'm fine.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well regardless, glad we could help.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

14. Back To Top    #14

Update - got new housing installed, and test kit arrived and checked the numbers and everything is in order, so decided since I'm good, I'll check back if anything arises that I would need help with. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

WOW

That is some gaff, looks really relaxing. Nice one
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks