Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae

At the end of my rope with this pool for 4-5 weeks of this now. I have kept this pool at slam shock level and its fine but as soon as it drops to level of 10 algae begins to grow back. Now I have slammed this pool for 2 weeks now begin to let the levels drop and this morning here are my results and I can see algae forming again. Any advice??? Why is this happening? I literally have not used this pool in weeks because it just keeps growing back as soon as I let the levels drop below slam level. Initially I was thinking it was the filter so I have someone coming today to check the filter out but I would think if its filtering at the right the PSI its working? Any advice why it keeps growing back below slam levels for this long?

FC 13.5
    CC 0
    TA 100
    CYA 50
    PH 7.8
    Sharkline Reprieve 21' x 52" Round Above Ground Swimming Pool, Waterway 520-5220-6S ClearWater 19in. Sand Filter Above Ground Pool System with Hi-Flo Single Speed Pump, using BBB method and TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae

10585730_10204392039751796_1687730695_n.jpg

2 nights ago crystal clear

- - - Updated - - -

10601059_10204392039711795_1631282046_n.jpg

This morning Algae forming
    Sharkline Reprieve 21' x 52" Round Above Ground Swimming Pool, Waterway 520-5220-6S ClearWater 19in. Sand Filter Above Ground Pool System with Hi-Flo Single Speed Pump, using BBB method and TF-100 kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Your levels look good as I am sure you know.

My ideas:
    -steps and lights-have you taken them out and scrubbed them?

-Filter-have you opened it up and looked at the sand? Have you done a deep clean? Here is a link

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

Other than that all I have for you is a hug.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I have done all that. I have taken those steps out several times weekly, vac daily, cleaned that filter I just don't know.

Thanks for the hug

- - - Updated - - -

Can we swim with a level of 20? LOL

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi tammy,
    You can swim with FC all the way up to shock level. No prob.

There has got to still be some algae somewhere. Think of everything you can.
    Behind the light
    in the autofill
    in a waterfall pipe that hasnt been used
    in any other pipe that hasnt been used

It's there somewhere. It has to be.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know where, I don't have lighting, waterfalls, I have cleaned every inch of that filter pipes, behind the ladder, we pulled the whole ladder out of the pool scrubbed it with bleach, scrubbed every part of the vac and supplies. I scrubbed every inch of inside and bottom of the pool with bleach, slammed it for 5 weeks and sure enough it drops below slam level and here comes the algae.

7. Back To Top    #7

I will ponder a guess. For AGP the main cause is skimmer box and weir, and also steps and ladders. The ladder fills with water and just sits. My problem in the past was the anti-entrapment behind the ladder. After about a week I could see yellow through the hole in the top. I got a funnel and some tubing. I pour a few oz of bleach in every few weeks.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

8. Back To Top    #8

My hidden source was also INSIDE of the ladder. The outside was constantly scrubbed and remained algae free. I pulled the ladder out and covered all of the tiny little holes with duct tape. Then I funneled in bleach /water solution in the bigger holes and let it sit for about an hour. When I turned the ladder upside down to drain it, that when the neon green came pouring out. Just a thought.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

9. Back To Top    #9

hmmmmm thanks I will try this today