Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust Stains From Fertilizer - How Do I Remove It?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust Stains From Fertilizer - How Do I Remove It?

Hi I'm new to the forum. My husband fertilized the yard last week with Ironite. He didn't realize that he had gotten some on the travertine decking as well as a few pellets dropped in the pool where the steps are located. Now I have rust stains on my travertine as well as 3 rust spots in my pool. Is there a safe and effective way to remove it? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust Stains From Fertilizer - How Do I Remove It?

This worked for me. (on my plaster pool)
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

For the pool with only 3 spots, a couple of vitamin C tablets rubbed on the stains for a few minutes should remove the stains.

Should also work on the deck if you get the tablets wet, just not sure how widespread the staining is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I got some on mine a few weeks ago even after being very careful adding it to my garden. I just lightly brushed it with a fine copper brush I picked up at Harbor Freight. No chemicals just water and a light brushing and then rinse.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the quick responses. I will give those a try. I did watch a video about using Vitamin C tabs but it looked like it removed the plaster color. I was hoping to avoid that, however if I'm desperate I will try it. An employee at the pool supply place told me to use lemons or limes. I just tried it and it didn't work. There is a Harbor Freight down the street so I will try that first. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool stain eraser looks interesting. I may have to try that. I have a gunite pool with Primera Stone so I am hoping that will work. Thank you for the suggestion.

6. Back To Top    #6

The notion on using lemons/limes is that they contain citric acid, which is known to be less effective on rust stains. I assume that also means its milder, so you may try that first if you are concerned. I have a few iron spots (from dissolved nails-don't ask) in the pool, I am going to try Vitamin C on them right now...
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Dissolved nails? Hmmm. I hope the vitamin C works for you. Another friend told me that they picked up a pumice stone at the pool supply store and that worked for them and it didn't change their plaster. I may have to try that next as the lime did absolutely nothing.
    33,000 gallon saltwater pool with Primera Stone

8. Back To Top    #8

I picked up the pumice stone at the pool supply place and it worked!!! Also there was no damage to the pool coating. It didn't work on the travertine. May have to use CLR for that.
    33,000 gallon saltwater pool with Primera Stone

9. Back To Top    #9

Grinding the stain off has to affect the surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

The brush I spoke of in my earlier post is actually brass. I think it is a machinist brush. Very fine bristles. I removed some more today.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

I used "Lithofin Rust EX Non-Acidic Rust Stain Remover" on my travertine to remove rust stains from an improperly mounted wrought iron fence and it worked great.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder