May have used more 20 Mule Team than I really needed...

txborn

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Carrollton, TX
Got my borate strips today and water tested less than 10ppm. Added 3 boxes to pool, then compensated the high pH with acid. pH is fine now but borates register closer to 80 than 50 - maybe around 65 - 75.

Pool size is just shy of 7,000 gallons. Will this cause any problems?

Having your borates around 65-70 shouldn't cause any significant problems.

I don't think your test strips are reading accurately. I calculate that increasing from 10 to 50 in a 7000 gallon pool would take 20.6 pounds of borax. A box is 4 3/4 lbs, and three boxes is 14 1/4 lbs. Three boxes should have increased your borates level by 28 ppm but your test strips showed an increase of 55 or 60.

It will take about 21lbs of borax (just under 4.5 boxes) to raise 7000 gallons to 50 ppm from 10 ppm. and will need about 1 gallon, 1 qt. and a cup of acid. This is for the decahydrate (20 mule team).

For the pentahydrate form it will take 18 1/3 lbs and require 1 gallon, 1 qt. and 3/4 pt. of acid based on the dosing charts for Proteam Supreme.

Thanks for the replies. I tested again this morning and reading was about 40ppm. Maybe I tested too soon after adding borax initially.

I don't know if it's just me but the water seems to feel even more silky than with the salt alone. Water looks beautiful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.