Scanned 1996 Pool Build Pictures

I'm glad people enjoyed the pictures. And yes, we still live here and have that pool: My wife and I will be using it later today, it's going to be over 100 deg here for the next week :swim: Payoff days for pool owners!

Plaster is getting a little discolored from the years, the deck has a few cracks, and the mastic needs to be redone......but the water is excellent, of course.

Nice testimonial for plaster lifespan if water chemistry is well maintained! Thanks for sharing.

The pool was built by Challenger. They did a good job, but I did have to catch a few mistakes, such as a mislocated skimmer, not putting tile makers on the bench and steps, stuff like that. But they did the important stuff right.

When I get a chance, I will try to post some newer pictures.

Some backstory on the journey to good water chemistry. There was no big internet presence, or anything I knew of like this forum back when the pool was built, so I had to learn many lessons the hard way, mostly on my own. Originally I had ozone and a triclor feeder, but I caught on to the pitfalls of that fairly quickly. Ugh! I would get tests at the pool store that I was suspicious of, and then go to another store the same day and get wildly different results. Due to pool stores giving me bogus CYA numbers, one of the first extended tests I bought for myself was for CYA, the one with the dot on a moving stick. I still prefer to use this, as it's easy to slide the stick with the dot up and down while watching it fade in and out.

After a few years of experience I got a very good "feel" for the pool, and could mostly tell if CYA was low by how much FC was being consumed, but of course I still test it occasionally.

I have only replaced my filter cartridges once in all this time, which I would guess is also an indicator of having nice balanced water that is easy on the plaster, eyes, and skin.

Lessons learned: be wary of gimmicks (I was suckered by ozone). If you want something done right, you often have to do it yourself, or keep on eye on the work done. Be wary of those who have a large financial incentive to sell unneeded consumables to the uniformed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.