Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scanned 1996 Pool Build Pictures

1. Back To Top    #1

Scanned 1996 Pool Build Pictures

I recently got a chance to scan many old analog photos that were stored in boxes.

Here is our Spring of 1996 pool build, in no particular order, with a few pictures enjoying it that summer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100098...7645830677499/
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Uniclor 2400 external brine membrane chlorine generator.
    Kreepy Krauly inground cleaner, suction side.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scanned 1996 Pool Build Pictures

Thnx, I really enjoyed seeing those photos.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Very nice! Is it still as wonderful today?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm glad people enjoyed the pictures. And yes, we still live here and have that pool: My wife and I will be using it later today, it's going to be over 100 deg here for the next week Payoff days for pool owners!

Plaster is getting a little discolored from the years, the deck has a few cracks, and the mastic needs to be redone......but the water is excellent, of course.
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Nice testimonial for plaster lifespan if water chemistry is well maintained! Thanks for sharing.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it a Blue Haven pool? We put ours in 1994 and our pool shape is similar to yours.
    14K IG Aggregate Mini Pebble, 1 HP Hayward Single Speed Pump 120 GPM, 175 Sqft Cartridge Filter
    In-Line Chlorinator, 360 Polaris Black Max, Sheer Descent Water Feature. TF-100 Test Kit
    Build Date 2/1994; Remodel Date 4/2014; Original Owner, North Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool was built by Challenger. They did a good job, but I did have to catch a few mistakes, such as a mislocated skimmer, not putting tile makers on the bench and steps, stuff like that. But they did the important stuff right.

When I get a chance, I will try to post some newer pictures.

Some backstory on the journey to good water chemistry. There was no big internet presence, or anything I knew of like this forum back when the pool was built, so I had to learn many lessons the hard way, mostly on my own. Originally I had ozone and a triclor feeder, but I caught on to the pitfalls of that fairly quickly. Ugh! I would get tests at the pool store that I was suspicious of, and then go to another store the same day and get wildly different results. Due to pool stores giving me bogus CYA numbers, one of the first extended tests I bought for myself was for CYA, the one with the dot on a moving stick. I still prefer to use this, as it's easy to slide the stick with the dot up and down while watching it fade in and out.

After a few years of experience I got a very good "feel" for the pool, and could mostly tell if CYA was low by how much FC was being consumed, but of course I still test it occasionally.

I have only replaced my filter cartridges once in all this time, which I would guess is also an indicator of having nice balanced water that is easy on the plaster, eyes, and skin.

Lessons learned: be wary of gimmicks (I was suckered by ozone). If you want something done right, you often have to do it yourself, or keep on eye on the work done. Be wary of those who have a large financial incentive to sell unneeded consumables to the uniformed!