Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How To Clean Cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

How To Clean Cartridge?

I read a couple of threads about soaking the cartridge in a TSP or powdered automatic dish detergent solution. I'm interested in doing this, but would like to know more about this.

Has anyone done it, or knows how to do it. I'm more interested in a product that can be picked up at most Walmart stores. I'm probably going to go with the dish detergent, but what is the main ingredient(s) I should be looking for? Can someone provide a link?

Thanks!
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How To Clean Cartridge?

Can't help with the process, cause I have a sand filter, but if you have a big box hardware store near you, they should have TSP near the paint section. It's pretty cheap.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

If your using TSP the mix ratio is 1 cup to 5 gallons of water. Let it soak. Overnight would be good. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello,
    I've done it (using TSP). It works well. Follow the directions on this post for cleaning cartridge filters:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rtridge-filter
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate the comments!

How about the dish detergent, anybody know anything about the chemical I should be looking for?
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

EDIT: <del> Use dawn it breaks the oils down. Any quality dish detergent will be fine. It's going to be rinsed out anyways.<del>
    It's best to a non-sudsing detergent. Dishwasher detergent as recommended.
    Last edited by bobodaclown; 08-07-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Better info provided
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I read that dish detergent for dishwashers is supposed to be used. Is dish soap also good?
    Bobby (my pool)

8. Back To Top    #8

The directions from this site posted earlier and from Unicel (http://www.unicelfilters.com/retaile...rine_users.asp) state to use dishwasher detergent your best bet is to follow those directions.

You shouldn't use liquid dish soap because it may cause sudsing after it's reinstalled. I guess I dodged the bullet.

Some other reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the information; I will probably go with the TSP.
    Bobby (my pool)

10. Back To Top    #10

My builder said to use 3 cups of powder dishwasher detergent like Cascade in a plastic trash can. Soak at least 3 hours and rinse well. I have done this occasionally but usually just use a high pressure hose attachment made for filter cleaning.
    23000 gal. 18 x 36 IG vinyl
    Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp. pump
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 cartridge filter
    AutoPilot Digital 220 SWG
    LaarsLite 250 gas heater

11. Back To Top    #11

A friend who works for a hot tub distributor suggested using phosphate free tsp (yes, it exists) for the cartridge filters in my hot tub. Seemed to work and would be more environmentally friendly.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

12. Back To Top    #12

I saw that phosphate free TSP on Lowe's website. Phosphates feed algae, but with proper chlorine and pH levels, algae won't grow. I guess it's better than putting algae food in your pool.
    Bobby (my pool)