Old Chlorine, Rising PH and why I LOVE TFP.

May 14, 2014
Houston, TX
I LOVE TFP and my TF-100 because I am saving huge amounts of money and have perfect sparkly odor free water and a very easy to maintain pool.

We have had very heavy rains this year. 2-3 inches many times, 5 inches 2 times and 8 inches in 30 hours that flooded the pool with yard dirt, you could not even see the 1st step.

I never had to buy any chemicals or shock the pool, TFP is amazing! The only thing I buy at the pool store is 4 gallon cases of 10% bleach and acid. I don't even bother to get the water tested, they will just try to sell me a $50 bottle of PH+. After fighting a loosing battle with algae for years I have not seen one speck this summer. My summer chemical cost is about $15.00 a month and I run the pool less.

I think I got some old bleach. Has anyone figured out an easy way to test the bleach with the TF-100. I also have creeping rising PH. I need to add acid 2-3 times a month. Before the drain & refill I never needed acid? Not a big deal but just wondering.

This is a great post. And so many folks keep on and keep on getting pool stored.

Can't help with the old chlorine test much. Maybe use pool math ... on the bottom part where it says EFFECTS OF ADDING.. and calculate how much x amount of that old chlorine would add. Then add it, and then test for FC, then use pool math again, sort of backwards, and you can sorta figure out the strength...thats what I would do.

As for your PH, ya know the TA helps with that. You might to a test if you havent lately and check that out.

FWIW, I add MA 2 -3 times a month too. Maybe a cup or cup and 1/2 each time. I dont consider that very much.
I LOVE TFP and my TF-100 because I am saving huge amounts of money and have perfect sparkly odor free water and a very easy to maintain pool.

We have had very heavy rains this year. 2-3 inches many times, 5 inches 2 times and 8 inches in 30 hours that flooded the pool with yard dirt, you could not even see the 1st step.

I never had to buy any chemicals or shock the pool, TFP is amazing! The only thing I buy at the pool store is 4 gallon cases of 10% bleach and acid. I don't even bother to get the water tested, they will just try to sell me a $50 bottle of PH+. After fighting a loosing battle with algae for years I have not seen one speck this summer. My summer chemical cost is about $15.00 a month and I run the pool less.

I think I got some old bleach. Has anyone figured out an easy way to test the bleach with the TF-100. I also have creeping rising PH. I need to add acid 2-3 times a month. Before the drain & refill I never needed acid? Not a big deal but just wondering.

When I was using bleach, I'd go to Wally world and sometimes found their shelves of great value empty or near empty. So their stock turnover was really fast. On the other hand, home Depot still had stock of 10% on hand that was manufactured in March of 2013 last week.

Another satisfied customer! I think we have another pool snob among us suffering from sparklypoolitis :lol:
No worries tho, you are in good company :wink:

Sounds like you have things well under control.

If you used trichlor or dichlor before the drain/refill, they could have been keeping the pH down because they are acidic. In fact, constant use can cause a pH & TA crash, if not monitored closely.

What about a pic for us of that Trouble Free Pool :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.