Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old Chlorine, Rising PH and why I LOVE TFP.

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile Old Chlorine, Rising PH and why I LOVE TFP.

I LOVE TFP and my TF-100 because I am saving huge amounts of money and have perfect sparkly odor free water and a very easy to maintain pool.

We have had very heavy rains this year. 2-3 inches many times, 5 inches 2 times and 8 inches in 30 hours that flooded the pool with yard dirt, you could not even see the 1st step.

I never had to buy any chemicals or shock the pool, TFP is amazing! The only thing I buy at the pool store is 4 gallon cases of 10% bleach and acid. I don't even bother to get the water tested, they will just try to sell me a $50 bottle of PH+. After fighting a loosing battle with algae for years I have not seen one speck this summer. My summer chemical cost is about $15.00 a month and I run the pool less.

I think I got some old bleach. Has anyone figured out an easy way to test the bleach with the TF-100. I also have creeping rising PH. I need to add acid 2-3 times a month. Before the drain & refill I never needed acid? Not a big deal but just wondering.
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old Chlorine, Rising PH and why I LOVE TFP.

This is a great post. And so many folks keep on and keep on getting pool stored.

Can't help with the old chlorine test much. Maybe use pool math ... on the bottom part where it says EFFECTS OF ADDING.. and calculate how much x amount of that old chlorine would add. Then add it, and then test for FC, then use pool math again, sort of backwards, and you can sorta figure out the strength...thats what I would do.

As for your PH, ya know the TA helps with that. You might to a test if you havent lately and check that out.

FWIW, I add MA 2 -3 times a month too. Maybe a cup or cup and 1/2 each time. I dont consider that very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan762 View Post
    I LOVE TFP and my TF-100 because I am saving huge amounts of money and have perfect sparkly odor free water and a very easy to maintain pool.

We have had very heavy rains this year. 2-3 inches many times, 5 inches 2 times and 8 inches in 30 hours that flooded the pool with yard dirt, you could not even see the 1st step.

I never had to buy any chemicals or shock the pool, TFP is amazing! The only thing I buy at the pool store is 4 gallon cases of 10% bleach and acid. I don't even bother to get the water tested, they will just try to sell me a $50 bottle of PH+. After fighting a loosing battle with algae for years I have not seen one speck this summer. My summer chemical cost is about $15.00 a month and I run the pool less.

I think I got some old bleach. Has anyone figured out an easy way to test the bleach with the TF-100. I also have creeping rising PH. I need to add acid 2-3 times a month. Before the drain & refill I never needed acid? Not a big deal but just wondering.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Divin Dave's method works. But here is how I test mine.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanx epro05. I was right! My current batch that I bought last week from unnamed pool store is MARCH 02, 1013, 17 months old.

So how old is that?

Going to WallyWorld tomorrow with my date chart.
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.

5. Back To Top    #5

When I was using bleach, I'd go to Wally world and sometimes found their shelves of great value empty or near empty. So their stock turnover was really fast. On the other hand, home Depot still had stock of 10% on hand that was manufactured in March of 2013 last week.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Alan762 View Post

Another satisfied customer! I think we have another pool snob among us suffering from sparklypoolitis
    No worries tho, you are in good company

Sounds like you have things well under control.

If you used trichlor or dichlor before the drain/refill, they could have been keeping the pH down because they are acidic. In fact, constant use can cause a pH & TA crash, if not monitored closely.
    What about a pic for us of that Trouble Free Pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!