Recommend a DE filter for me please...

May 29, 2014
Richland, WA
So I'm getting sick of our sand filter and was thinking of going DE. I'm looking for the best dang filtration possible and the pool guys suggest DE is the best and filters the finest stuff. We keep having a lot of dirt build up at the bottom of the return jets which drives me insane having to vacuum to waste every week or two. (We also have an automatic cover and the pool is covered every night) I'm not sure if DE will remove all the dirt but I'll be so happy if it cuts it down a lot.

It's a 20,000 gallon plaster (gunite?) pool with I believe a single speed pump. (Not sure of the HP, my grandfather used to take care of everything before he passed away this winter, still learning)

Pool guys suggested a 48 sq. ft. DE filter. But I know the knowledge here is far more vast then the average pool store...

Price is always a factor, but then again, I think what I've picked up here is that you don't skimp on the filter. Get lower speed pumps and everything else etc, but get the best filter you can. So, would 48 sq. ft. be good? Without knowing more, could you take a guess on if I could use the same main pump I've been using with our sand filter? I would like to buy it myself & either self install or just have the pool guys do that part.

Ideally I would like to be able to find something from Amazon Prime (free shipping! Woo!) and noticed the Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical D.E. Pool Filter for like $640. It requires the multiport still though which I think is like another ~$140 or something. I noticed another Heyward on Amazon that's 60 sq. ft. for like $680. Is that overkill? Is this a good brand without being the "expensive" brand? Are there different types/styles of DE filters? What kind of multiport should I look for?

Guide me all knowing TFPC members :)

All filters can provide a crystal clear pool. Are you sure it is not a simple repair or cleaning of your sand filter that is needed? Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter? Have you ever tried a little DE in your Sand Filter?

Realize. a DE filter is certainly not less work than a sand filter.

If you get a DE, certainly do not go smaller than 48sqft ... that should be fine for your short season. And it should be fine with your pump, assuming it is not VERY over-sized (which may not be a good assumption). All the filters from Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc are comparable. There really is no "high-end / expensive" brand.
There are a few styles of DE filters, those Pro-Grids are the typical style. There are also "bump" styles and Pentair has a cartridge style. You need either the plunger-type backwash valve or the mutli-valve.

Honestly I would see if you can get the sand filter working for < $100 before spending >$700

BTW, problems people associate with filters are often actually chemistry problems ... if you do not maintain enough chlorine in the pool, you could be seeing dead algae building up on the floor every day.

Before considering DE, you should post your water chemistry. Low chlorine for your CYA level can result in a sort of sub-acute algae problem that results in constant "dirt" on the bottom.

Of course after I research and think I know what course of action to take, you guys point out the easy bits! HA!

So I was thinking about it and I think the "dirt/silt" does show up after I've been a little lazy (or out of town) and the pool has got a bit cloudy and I've cleared it up again. I guess before I didn't make the connection because I thought the dirt just built up during the days I neglected the pool or were out of town.

So, if this is dead bacteria then is it large enough to get filtered out by the sand filter if I just brush it every couple hours (to get it back in suspension) for a day or two, or are they just passing through the sand and building up on the bottom of the pool? Is vac to waste the only way to pick this stuff up?

Also, about adding the DE to the sand filter. I did notice that mentioned before at the start of the season, stupid me went to a local pool store (lol) and asked if they sold DE. The guy quizzed me why I just needed a pound or two and explained that if the DE was more fine then the sand, it would just pass through the sand and just end up in the pool. This made sense so I gave up and left. Would you mind explaining how adding DE to a sand filter works and doesn't just pass back into the pool? Also, if it's legal in my area, can I just backwash DE to the yard? That's how my grandpa has done it from day one and how I've been doing it, but I'm not sure if it's safe to just backwash to a dry spot in the back of the yard if I'll be dumping DE too...

Finally, I did deep clean the filter at the start of the season. Everything appeared fine and it actually didn't seem that dirty to begin with and had no channeling I could see. (Plus base line operating pressure was the same before deep clean and after) Chem has been within TFPC ideals as provided with the PoolCalc, except for those couple times I've been too busy for a week or out of town. CYA is around 40 to 50 since the start of the season. I did have one other side question. EVERY pool product recommends chlorine levels be what, 1-4ppm? Yet even for a CYA of 40 trouble free suggests much higher chlorine levels. Honestly the suggested values on this site produce a much more beautiful crystal clear water, but if this is safe, why don't some products suggest higher chlorine levels? Especially if it's tied to CYA level? If CYA was zero and I had chlorine at 6ppm would that be unsafe to swim in for the short amount of time the chlorine hung around?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.