Question about SPA attached to pool..Heater odor.

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
When I fire up my heater to get the spa started up, we notice a strong gas like smell, I'm guessing its the heating element getting hot.

Is this normal? It happens everytime the heater fires up.

I have the Jandy LXi heater and our pool is fairly new (May 2014)

Thanks all

Depends what "gas-like smell" means. If you are smelling actual natural gas (rotten eggs), that is not normal or good.
Or are you smelling the dust burning off the element?
Or just smelling the result of combustion?

Its not natural gas, it smells like something is burning, when the heater is off the smell goes away and comes back when the heater kicks back on.

It definalty smells like combustion. Should I expect the smell to go away after a certain time in service?

You know, I seem to remember some smell with my new heater at a previous house. I think there is some "break-in" that should go away. Although any dirt/dust will always be burning off, like starting your furnace for the first time in winter.

Yes, thats exactly what it smells like starting up your furnace for the first time! I'm hoping it will go away soon we have been firing it up at least three times a week at night.

Good to know the smell will go away after the "break in" period.

I had the same issue when mine was new. My spa isn't on the same side as the equipment like yours is but I would smell it when I went near it to adjust it. I think if I remember right that it wasn't until the winter when the heater ran for a long time that it finally went away. If your pool is as warm as mine I bet it isn't running long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.