Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about SPA attached to pool..Heater odor.

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking Question about SPA attached to pool..Heater odor.

When I fire up my heater to get the spa started up, we notice a strong gas like smell, I'm guessing its the heating element getting hot.

Is this normal? It happens everytime the heater fires up.

I have the Jandy LXi heater and our pool is fairly new (May 2014)

Thanks all
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about SPA attached to pool..Heater odor.

Depends what "gas-like smell" means. If you are smelling actual natural gas (rotten eggs), that is not normal or good.
    Or are you smelling the dust burning off the element?
    Or just smelling the result of combustion?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Its not natural gas, it smells like something is burning, when the heater is off the smell goes away and comes back when the heater kicks back on.

It definalty smells like combustion. Should I expect the smell to go away after a certain time in service?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

You know, I seem to remember some smell with my new heater at a previous house. I think there is some "break-in" that should go away. Although any dirt/dust will always be burning off, like starting your furnace for the first time in winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, thats exactly what it smells like starting up your furnace for the first time! I'm hoping it will go away soon we have been firing it up at least three times a week at night.

Good to know the smell will go away after the "break in" period.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same issue when mine was new. My spa isn't on the same side as the equipment like yours is but I would smell it when I went near it to adjust it. I think if I remember right that it wasn't until the winter when the heater ran for a long time that it finally went away. If your pool is as warm as mine I bet it isn't running long.
    26k gal, IG, Pebble Tec, DE filter/48sq'/144 GPM, 3hp Intelliflo running @ <1400 rpm 24/7